#BringBackBarry

To me this all looks like a trap specifically designed to illustrate this very point. That handwritten note got presented to ICAC at a very opportune moment - why was it ever kept in the first place if not for this type of purpose?

Who's policing the police?

Wait for AWH to unravel further....I think you will find a lot more Libs were involved. Also.....would be interesting to see what happens if there a Royal Commission in the building industry....lots of crooks on both sides of politics.

If you know some info, don't keep it to yourself. How were they corrupt? Give us one example?

See ya's.

Personally, I find the most concerning thing by far in all of this is that the Obeid family and their associates have once again clearly demonstrated to everyone that they have the power to take down a Premier if they so wish. Even from right in the middle of an ICAC enquiry in this case. To me this all looks like a trap specifically designed to illustrate this very point. That handwritten note got presented to ICAC at a very opportune moment - why was it ever kept in the first place if not for this type of purpose?

This is the truest statement so far ... who keeps a note from 3 years ago unless the express purpose was to use it as such in the future? To bring down a Premier - or even a government. I bet the Obeid's have a shoebox full of them.

The "behind the scenes" power brokers are proving they still have control ... that is the scary part

Wait for AWH to unravel further....I think you will find a lot more Libs were involved. Also.....would be interesting to see what happens if there a Royal Commission in the building industry....lots of crooks on both sides of politics.

Money makes the world go round. I have a moral dilemma - do you wait two weeks until a court resolution having a project on strike at $ 10k/day or do you buckle to some p!$$arts union demand for fluoro shoelaces as a safety issue? & get back to work for $5,000?

Who is corrupt - the official causing the strike or the builder/developer who cops it sweet? as it is illegal to pay strike pay.

This is the truest statement so far ... who keeps a note from 3 years ago unless the express purpose was to use it as such in the future? To bring down a Premier - or even a government. I bet the Obeid's have a shoebox full of them.

The "behind the scenes" power brokers are proving they still have control ... that is the scary part

Just wish to point out that it wasn't the Obeids who would have had the note.

It would have been Nick Di Girolama that had the note.

Apart from that, agree about the power brokers and factional hacks controlling things.

Just wish to point out that it wasn't the Obeids who would have had the note.

It would have been Nick Di Girolama that had the note.

Apart from that, agree about the power brokers and factional hacks controlling things.

I'm not aware of all the details or questions put to O'Farrell at the hearing, other than the gift, so would like to know what O'Farrell was called in for in the first place, if he wasn't involved in any corruption?

The Obeids et al are still at large and are yet to be charged with anything. BOF is the only person to have taken a fall so far.

I just hope that ICAC really can get to the bottom of all this.

So anyway I was cruising the internet looking at things related to a certain high profile former NSW Labor Politian and I saw a name I recognised.... a guy I went to university with 20 or so years ago.

Seems he is an associate of said former politician and his family. And has even appeared in front of a certain hearing on one or two occasions for, one might say, "matters arising"....

All of a sudden I am a lot more interested in this.

Look out, true Labor supporters....there's plenty around, and they're highly critical of Lib supporters:p

Plenty ?? By plenty - you mean a tiny and dwindling minority, surely.

Hmmm, let's have a quick squizz at the numbers all around the country, to cut through the waffle. I'm sure the forum members would appreciate some impartial numbers.

1.0 Federally......last election.......7 Sept 2013

Seats up for grabs......150

Coalition win...............90............vote swing up 1.8 %

Labor wins..................55............vote swing down 4.5 %

Result..........Labor get booted out of Govt, people elect Liberals to govern

2.0 WA Senate re-run......last election.......5 Apr 2014

Seats up for grabs......6

Coalition win..............3............vote swing down 5.0 %

Labor wins.................1............vote swing down 5.0 %

Result..........Worst Labor result in 113 year history. Historically low Labor vote of less than 22%.

3.0 SA state......last election.......15 March 2014

Seats up for grabs......47

Coalition win..............22............vote swing up 3.1 %

Labor wins.................23............vote swing down 1.7 %

Result..........Labor lose majority Govt, must rely on independents for support.

4.0 Tasmanian state......last election.......15 March 2014

Seats up for grabs......25

Coalition win..............15............vote swing up 12.4 %

Labor wins..................7............vote swing down 9.5 %

5.0 WA state......last election.......9 March 2013

Seats up for grabs......59

Coalition win..............38............vote swing up 8.7 %

Labor wins.................21............vote swing down 2.7 %

Result..........Labor lose 7 seats, people continue to support and re-elect Liberals to govern

6.0 ACT......last election.......20 October 2012

Seats up for grabs......17

Coalition win...............8............vote swing up 7.3 %

Labor wins..................8............vote swing up 1.5 %

Result..........Labor lose majority Govt, must rely on Greens for support.

6.0 NT......last election.......25 August 2012

Seats up for grabs......25

Coalition win..............16............vote swing up 5.2 %

Labor wins..................8............vote swing down 6.7 %

7.0 Qld state......last election.......24 March 2012

Seats up for grabs......89

Coalition win..............78............vote swing up 8.1 %

Labor wins..................7............vote swing down 15.6 %

Result..........Labor get booted out of Govt, people elect Liberals to govern in biggest landslide in Australian electoral history

8.0 NSW state......last election.......26 March 2011

Seats up for grabs......93

Coalition win..............69............vote swing up 11.6 %

Labor wins.................20............vote swing down 13.4 %

Result..........Labor get booted out of Govt, people elect Liberals to govern in big landslide to Liberals

9.0 Vic state......last election.......27 November 2010

Seats up for grabs......88

Coalition win..............45............vote swing up 3.6 %

Labor wins.................43............vote swing down 6.8 %

Result..........Labor get booted out of Govt, people elect Liberals to govern.

I dunno about everyone else, but I see a clear pattern. To me, those numbers indicate that Labor is very much on the nose all across the country....and it appears to be getting worse, to put it mildly.

Wherever they previously governed, in the last few years they have either been kicked out completely or they have been reduced to forming minority Govt with either Greens or independents.....and we've all seen where that debacle of a combination leads to.

On reflection, given the above numbers, I would have to say that the use of the word "plenty" to describe Labor supporters is very ambitious. In any case, the correct term "much less than before" would be far more accurate.

No need for conclusions or 1 line waffle. People can read the facts and make up their own mind.

Last edited:
No need for conclusions or 1 line waffle. People can read the facts and make up their own mind.

You should know as well as anyone that politics moves in cycles.

And, truth be told, it was not all that long ago that the only Liberal-National government in Australia was the Federal one.

Surely anyone who thinks that Campbell Newman is popular and well-liked amongst Queenslanders is living in fairy land :confused:.

He may have romped home in the election, but what's that old saying... "a week is a long time in politics".

And, truth be told, it was not all that long ago that the only Liberal-National government in Australia was the Federal one.

I remember the mirth had from some when Campbell Newman was the most senior Liberal leader in government (as the Mayor of Brisbane), I'm surprised at how quickly it's turned the other way.

I'll leave the waffle commentary to the experts, and concentrate on the numbers....the hard facts that cannot be disputed.

If you think it goes in cycles, here's some quotes from some Labor heavyweights from my neck of the woods....

WA Labor Senator Bishop is retiring when his term expires in July and has lashed out at his own party, saying the "disastrous" outcome in WA is no "one-off".

"There is now a continuum in Western Australia going back 10, 12 or 14 years where there have been swings of 3 or 4 or 5 per cent at successive elections," Senator Bishop told AM.

He says the reason why Labor holds only three out of the 15 West Australian seats in the Federal Parliament is simple.

"In this state we speak a language that is either not understood by voters or, if understood, rejected," he said.​

and a former WA Premier

Former WA Labor premier Geoff Gallop also says the re-run election result is appalling and the party is in a diabolical situation.

"The party is in serious existential crisis; major reform is needed," Mr Gallop said​

Those two views from recognised WA Labor experts point more to a terminal decline, not some ebb and flow "cycle".

Less than 2 weeks ago, we just had a poll across the whole of WA, where the Labor Party, one of the two recognised major political parties could not muster 22% of the primary vote......their worst result in 113 years.

You may be right Mark, it could be just a cycle.....but the Labor experts do not agree with your view.

Link to full article here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...-labor-performance-wa-senate-election/5371100

There was 16 years of ALP government in NSW with no credible Liberal opposition. Now there is no credible ALP opposition.

You are a delusional, blinkered individual if you think that there is no variance in political control, influenced by both internal and external factors.

The smart politician plans for these. The arrogant, less successful one crows about how amazing they are and how things will never change.

A lot of public servants hated his guts. He ripped them off - cut wages and conditions. He made TAFE more expensive and will be even worse in the future. Not fair for the poorer younger generation trying to better themselves through education.

He would have to be one of the biggest BS artist I have seen in a long time. Seeing him on TV denying any knowledge about the wine just made me laugh. What's he got to hide? Not saying the politicians on the other side are much better.

What we need is politicians who are not in it for themselves.

Yes the poor little treasures!!!!!!! Us poor Older people actually had to go and get a part time job to get any further education and study as well!! No such transport systems like they have now, no computers or internet, you had to go to the library to see an encyclopaedia as most families couldn't afford a set... No sympathy here for many of our lazy younger generation.

Yes the poor little treasures!!!!!!! Us poor Older people actually had to go and get a part time job to get any further education and study as well!! No such transport systems like they have now, no computers or internet, you had to go to the library to see an encyclopaedia as most families couldn't afford a set... No sympathy here for many of our lazy younger generation.

I'm young-ish. Probably Gen y. I worked part time while doing my first degree. I worked full time while doing my second degree. I have junior staff now doing the same thing.

Simplistic generational generalisations don't acheive anything.

The increases to TAFE costs do have a significant impact on affordability, and increases the welfare trap. It's hardly sensationalist. The wage for an apprentice is very low compared to the cost of living. Add additional education expenses in and some people will be forced to drop out. If they don't have family support, they simply can't afford to keep studying.

I don't want to see a 2 tiered economic system where only those from wealthy families get any form of education past high school. It will simply create more social problems, and more expense in the long term.

I'm young-ish. Probably Gen y. I worked part time while doing my first degree. I worked full time while doing my second degree. I have junior staff now doing the same thing.

Simplistic generational generalisations don't acheive anything.

The increases to TAFE costs do have a significant impact on affordability, and increases the welfare trap. It's hardly sensationalist. The wage for an apprentice is very low compared to the cost of living. Add additional education expenses in and some people will be forced to drop out. If they don't have family support, they simply can't afford to keep studying.

I don't want to see a 2 tiered economic system where only those from wealthy families get any form of education past high school. It will simply create more social problems, and more expense in the long term.

Considering we are no where near the level of educational costs that the US has, I'd suggest that if the education system provided better transitions into tertiary education the vast majority of students could gain their necessary vocational qualifications whilst being subsidised by Mum and Dad and working part time.

I went through university working full time, and almost without exception the majority of students (that I associated with) were working in some form to cover their costs, whilst staying at home.

The more people we have studying and getting a move on life early instead of after their Kontiki bingefest 'soul searching' the better.

However, if Barry had done the right thing in the first place, there would have been nothing to bring him down. Somebody brought out some facts- and when he was caught out denying the facts he fell.

He was elected on the back of a party far more corrupt than his own, and won because people were sick of the old corruption- he promised honesty. And yet, so close to when he was elected, he accepted an expensive gift which he did not declare in the pecuniary register.

Now there's a hint that something else may have been involved.

I agree, Barry was a great man and doing a great job. A tough job. Any responsibly run government is going to upset public servants. That's how it goes as there is no endless money tree.
Let's not forget that it's not the man who is running the state. It is still the same party running, and things will probably keep proceeding the way they have been- with perhaps even more emphasis on integrity and going by the book.

It's not Barry doing a good job- it's the party.

If power brokers really did bring him down, they should know that it will really have not much of an effect.

Back