Bringing finance for IP from overseas

Hello all,

New poster here, so bare with me. I am only just starting down the road of property investment and I have been devouring the information here and in other places. It's been said before but this is an excellent resource and want to thank those who contribute so much.

I am looking to use a property in the UK (value: GBP 470,000, no debt) as security for my first IP here in Aus, via a UK loan. The property is currently held in a BVI via a trust, with poor cash flow and difficult access to equity. I am looking to move this to direct ownership, to reduce complexity and improve CF, equity access.

I have already approached an expat mortgage provider (in UK) and have an agreement in principle (50% LVR, 4% fixed for 5years), with the current tenant and costs this property would be roughly cash flow neutral.

A UK local tax advisor has told me that the UK interest will not be deductible on my UK return. However my understanding is that it would be on my Australian return, as well as depreciation.

1. Does anyone have any experience with expatriate finance in AU? Anything I should be asking in particular?

I would like to use a third party service (ozforex) to transfer the funds, approx $325,000. Before you say it, I know I need professional advise, hence my second question.

2. Can anyone recommend an accountant in Sydney that would be well suited, with local and international experience.

I am looking towards 10year plan and am considering Trust structures for the 2nd or 3rd property.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hello all,

New poster here, so bare with me. I am only just starting down the road of property investment and I have been devouring the information here and in other places. It's been said before but this is an excellent resource and want to thank those who contribute so much.

I am looking to use a property in the UK (value: GBP 470,000, no debt) as security for my first IP here in Aus, via a UK loan. The property is currently held in a BVI via a trust, with poor cash flow and difficult access to equity. I am looking to move this to direct ownership, to reduce complexity and improve CF, equity access.

I have already approached an expat mortgage provider (in UK) and have an agreement in principle (50% LVR, 4% fixed for 5years), with the current tenant and costs this property would be roughly cash flow neutral.

A UK local tax advisor has told me that the UK interest will not be deductible on my UK return. However my understanding is that it would be on my Australian return, as well as depreciation.

1. Does anyone have any experience with expatriate finance in AU? Anything I should be asking in particular?

I would like to use a third party service (ozforex) to transfer the funds, approx $325,000. Before you say it, I know I need professional advise, hence my second question.

2. Can anyone recommend an accountant in Sydney that would be well suited, with local and international experience.

I am looking towards 10year plan and am considering Trust structures for the 2nd or 3rd property.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

One of the brokers on here should be able to assist with your first question. I know Richard Taylor (QLDS007 on here) has considerable experience in both countries.

http://somersoft.com/forums/member.php?u=4703

Re point 2. Martin Wilson (House of wealth accountants) based in Darling Park in the city is excellent and again has experience in the UK and Oz.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply.

Martin looks likes a good place to start. (also recognise a couple of names from these forums, which is comforting!)

Anyone got advice regarding using finance from overseas? Plan to service the loan from the UK income. Any mistakes or tax considerations to be especially wary of?

There doesn't appear to be any issues from a finance perspective. If you're sourcing the money from the UK then the issues you'd face are either at the UK funding side, or they're tax issues getting the money into Australia.

It's not a big deal to get finance in Australia for an Australian property if you're an expat. Income and other documents from the UK is quite straight forward to use here.

I have been living and working in Aus for 5years and am now a permanent resident so I think I should be able to source finance here as well. I think I will be able to secure the finance over there as it will be IO, fully serviced by the rental income.

I really want to utilise the equity (and low rates) in the UK.

As you say, I think the difficulty is getting the funds over, while maintaining the deductibility of interest.

I have seen it said here that if the funds are deposited in a personal account, the accounting becomes difficult.

Hi Everyone - just wanted to bump this, after reading the thread over here:
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87426&page=3

What are the options for releasing equity from the UK and maintaining deductibility?

IP1 - UK House, no loan. Looking for 60% LVR, IO for expats. Would like to use this as deposit for IP2. The product offered will only allow overpayment upto 10% of balance.

(Future) IP2 - Will be getting IO loan in Aus, 80% LVR. However will need to show the funds released from IP1 as deposit.

How can I obtain the funds from the UK, bring them to Oz, complete the application with provider for IP2 and settle, without losing the deductibility of the equity released from IP1?

It seems to me that the best way would be to pay directly into the Oz loan account, and then redraw down the line for IP3 (if it ever gets to that). But this would require additional funds for deposit to establish the oz loan for IP2.

I just cant seem to get my head around this....thanks again.

Sorry to bump this, but I just cant get my head around it. Any brokers or accounting gurus have a thought on preserving the deductibility? The situations is as follows:

IP1 - UK Property, no debt. Looking to get a 60%LVR IO loan to release equity and use a deposit for IP2 in Oz.

IP2 (Future) - Will be applying for loan approx. 70%LVR, but need to have the equity from IP1 as deposit. Serviceability should be OK with rent and salary based on above LVR but currently do not have enough cash for deposit.

How can I bring the UK equity over to use as a deposit, without having IP2 loan existing? From what I understand, if it is in a personal account, the nexus is lost and I can no longer deduct the interest from the UK loan.

The best way would be to pay equity into IP2 loan and then redraw for IP3 down the line (if all goes to plan). But then I have no deposit for IP2...back to square one.

Pulling my hair out!

Back