Brisbane 600k where to buy

Hi Brisbane local experts,

We thought we found our dream house near Ashgrove Scenic Reserve (between Ashgrove and The Gap).

Then we noticed comments on the web that traffic on Waterworks road is very bad.

So the questions are:

1. Is the traffic terrible on Waterworks road, or is it equally bad on every other major road )-:

2. Is it true that road traffic is getting worse in Brisbane, and future travels to the CBD will be more reliable on trains?

3. Where would you recommend buying as a PPOR with a budget of 600k. We're after a 3 bedroom house in a nice suburb within 10km from and with easy transport to the CBD.

I'm from Melbourne, looking to move up there for better weather, and probably working at CBD or St Lucia.

Many thanks,
Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,

I'm living in Enoggera at the moment - one suburb past Ashgrove. Traffic isn't too bad on Waterworks Rd relative to other main rds. It's actually quite good if you start early, and even better it you use public transport. Ashgrove/The Gap is serviced by buses (not trains) using the T2 lane for Ashgrove, T3 lane for The Gap. The bus gets me into work in 15mins :cool: Could be a nightmare if you're in peak hour and travelling solo by car.

Imo, I think you pay a slight premium for The Gap - there is better value in Ashgrove.. For example, this house was on the market for a while.

You're kinda spoilt for choice with a $600k budget - it depends if you need public transport, or have kids to put through school? For schools I'd say Ashgrove, The Grange, Wilston/Windsor. For public transport I'd say Ashgrove/Enoggera, or a really nice home in Mitchelton - which gets the express train. Around St. Lucia I don't know too well..

Thank you for you help vbplease and russellpeter.

My preference is the north side because I heard that it is more established and has got better facilities. I would try to avoid areas affected by floods. Even though it might only happen once in a life time, it only takes one to create enough damage.

I'll look more into Ashgrove, Mitchelton, and perhaps Morningside (due to its close proximity to St Lucia and the CBD).

Cheers,
Kelvin

If you end up working in St Lucia, I'd be looking at Toowong, Taringa, Auchenflower also.

West side is the best side (I may be biased).

Hi Brisbane local experts,

We thought we found our dream house near Ashgrove Scenic Reserve (between Ashgrove and The Gap).

Then we noticed comments on the web that traffic on Waterworks road is very bad.

So the questions are:

1. Is the traffic terrible on Waterworks road, or is it equally bad on every other major road )-:

2. Is it true that road traffic is getting worse in Brisbane, and future travels to the CBD will be more reliable on trains?

3. Where would you recommend buying as a PPOR with a budget of 600k. We're after a 3 bedroom house in a nice suburb within 10km from and with easy transport to the CBD.

I'm from Melbourne, looking to move up there for better weather, and probably working at CBD or St Lucia.

Many thanks,
Kelvin
Where you work will be a key if you don't like commute times, as will locations of schools if you have children. If you need to work at St Lucia then inner west is an obvious choice.

600k is a healthy budget and gives plenty of choice for <10k, places you above 500k and a lot of competition.

Everyone will have their opinion, renting for a few months before buying is a popular choice to scope out the city, shorter term furnished rentals being one option.

A quick resource:
Brisbane suburbs: brief overview

Back