Brisbane Bayside: North (Sandgate, Shorncliffe) vs South (Manly, Wynnum)

Jerry I think your forgetting about the Cleveland line which runs through Redlands and bayside ??
Trains are pretty frequent , I know because you can watch em from the front yard of our ip in birkdale

Yeah but I think of them more as east trains than south. Just like I think of the Ipswitch train as a west train. IMO there's only one line that truly goes south.

Yeah but I think of them more as east trains than south. Just like I think of the Ipswitch train as a west train. IMO there's only one line that truly goes south.

seq-map.jpg

The green line goes just as South as the red line to Goodna.
Anything South of the river is South - purple line is South as well. The South has too many trains! ;)

But people in Brisbane don't consider bayside and redlands part of Brisbane

I wonder if Brisbane people consider Brighton/Shorncliffe to be not part of Brisbane too? When we bought in Manly West a year ago we felt the distance to the city was acceptable by road and train. I did a research trip to the north side at the end of last year and thought it was just too far away for the money. Drove out to Cleveland recently and thought the same thing - a lot further out yet no cheaper than Wynnum/Manly.

Cleveland is its own CBD effectively. It is approx 27km from Brisbanes CBD but chances are if you want to live in Cleveland you don't care. It's 58 minutes on a train to central station from Cleveland, it's 41 minutes from Manly to Central. I think you'll find yield higher in Cleveland than wynnum/manly area, but i have not researched that in detail, just my perception when i was looking into that whole corridor last year.

Last edited:
Lots of stops, that's a long journey. It's 1:08 from Central to Helensvale. Semi express I suppose.

My thoughts ate that if you look along the train line between Lota and Cleveland there are good schools, services, the bay and affordable property with good yields. I am biased, I spent the first 18 years of my life in the Redlands, so am partial to everything it offers families.

My thoughts ate that if you look along the train line between Lota and Cleveland there are good schools, services, the bay and affordable property with good yields. I am biased, I spent the first 18 years of my life in the Redlands, so am partial to everything it offers families.

I prefer Inner North/West, but that's where I lived so more familiar with it. Traffic seemed better because it just keeps going out that way.
BUT I just bought in the Redlands ;)

Wynnum, Manly and Lota, in particularly Wynnum are well serviced by Trains. I was very concerned about this when we moved out here after moving from Graceville where the rail is a 20m ride to city)

There are THREE stations in Wynnum, with another in Lindum which would probably service a decent part of Wynnum West.

The biggest pain in the **** about this line is the fact it tracks round the river through Southbank. If it were direct (you know, right through the centre of Hawthorne/Bulimba and over/under two bends in the river :)) it would only be a 20 minute ride I believe :)

Cheers

The biggest pain in the **** about this line is the fact it tracks round the river through Southbank. If it were direct (you know, right through the centre of Hawthorne/Bulimba and over/under two bends in the river :)) it would only be a 20 minute ride I believe :)

Stupid river. They should just fill it with cement, would make an awesome freeway and solve all the traffic problems ;)

I personally like wynnum as its closer for the city for commuting but still close to the bay, its also close to accessing the gateway.

That's where I am looking for our next purchase.

Stupid river. They should just fill it with cement, would make an awesome freeway and solve all the traffic problems ;)

That's the most interesting thing you have said all year!

So you just bought in Redlands. For a person bagging the area ???

Back