Brisbane builder

After some time of looking around Brisbane I have come to realise that it is better to build my PPOR. So, I have looked around and bought a plot of land which is 350 sq m with a 10 m frontage. It will be ready to be built on in few months time.

I am looking for a reliable builder who has built villa type of properties (2 storey) to indulgent level of finish on small lots. Preferably, the builder has a history and examples of such finished houses to view and reference to in a contract.

I have found potential builders: Plantations, Indigo, GJ, Coral

I would like to look wider and see if there may be a more competitive builder who has built a design more appropriate for my lifestyle.

Any suggestion and comment is welcome.

:)

I'm in the planning stages with Planbuild. They are at Kedron. My site is 10m wide and I'm building a 29sq house for a touch under 300k.

Hi Beachgurl

Congratulation on your project and thanks for sharing. Is it an IP or PPOR?

It seems your estimated price is in the ballpark. For example, Coral Homes has the Cottesloe 32 with 294.53 sq m priced at $298k from Sept 2014 in the inspiration range. Price may have changed. It is not an indulgent package but a value package. I hope to keep my budget below 20% above that and I have no idea whether it is realistic to expect to achieve that.

Have you choosen Planbuild based on past experience or shortlisted it from a number of builders? Is it because of proximity to your land site? Care to share the process you used to make you confident that Planbuild is the correct choice?

Although I have purchased new houses before, I am wondering how to make sure that the features and quality of the build can be specified adequately in the contract. In the past, a builder I dealt with found documentations too much to deal with! This time around, I wonder whether to include photos of the features agreed upon to offset having to rely on copious descriptions. Sizes, functionalities, key components can be specified on drawings but the quality and appearance can still be difficult to visualise and document.

I am drawing up a list of must haves. Such as: choice of brand of kitchen appliances but space and electricity/water/gas lines included, air conditioning, solar panel system and own installers during the construction. Double glazing on the first floor is a must because of noise problems.

It's an IP. I visited around 15 display homes and worked out what plans worked for the site, the narrowed down to what I liked. Then I narrowed further to those who would do a fixed price contract. Planbuild is doing me a turnkey package, including ducted air, fly screens, turf, aerial etc. I could've paid an extra 15k for a luxury package including a double oven and lots of down lights but as its an IP I didn't worry about it. A few people have said I'm overcapitalising with the ducted air but when renting out a property at nearly $700 a week I don't think I could get interest without it.

This is the second builder I've planned to go with. The first gave me a price and after estimating the price increased by over 15k. Couldn't get straight answers so moved onto another builder.

I was talking about 2 storey also.

If you are trying to compare with Canberra, you will find unsurprisingly that building in Canberra requires another 20-30% in price. A builder voluntarily gave me the information. It does not surprise me as previously I have bought welded structural steel columns from Brisbane and still get a saving of about $100 each time! (Try Scott Metals).

There are no BASIX requirements in brissie which reduces the overall cost compared to other states. The same house in Sydney would cost around 20k more.

Finding the right builder for the right project is very important.

There are differences when working with a project builder vs a custom home builder. Each have their strengths and weakness. I have built using both before and it depends what your trying to achieve or if you plan to live in it with luxury specs.

If its just an investment and you want to get the cheapest price and the quality is OK then go with a project builder, but you will need to work within their guidelines. For example any minor changes will result in potential large variation.

With custom builders, provided that your not making the house bigger then sometimes doing a minor change does not attract any variation.

I have found on a personal level that a custom home builder can be just as competitive as a project builder.

I would get a soil test prior to signing any construction contract. Most project builders will allow soil classification up to "S", but in Brisbane I have never seen any sites that are classified as S. If a soil test is not done and you have already signed a contract, then it will leave you open to variations as they have the right to charge. I would do research first as each builder works differently. Hope this helps.

Hi Beachgurl

Congratulation on your project and thanks for sharing. Is it an IP or PPOR?

It seems your estimated price is in the ballpark. For example, Coral Homes has the Cottesloe 32 with 294.53 sq m priced at $298k from Sept 2014 in the inspiration range. Price may have changed. It is not an indulgent package but a value package. I hope to keep my budget below 20% above that and I have no idea whether it is realistic to expect to achieve that.

Have you choosen Planbuild based on past experience or shortlisted it from a number of builders? Is it because of proximity to your land site? Care to share the process you used to make you confident that Planbuild is the correct choice?

Although I have purchased new houses before, I am wondering how to make sure that the features and quality of the build can be specified adequately in the contract. In the past, a builder I dealt with found documentations too much to deal with! This time around, I wonder whether to include photos of the features agreed upon to offset having to rely on copious descriptions. Sizes, functionalities, key components can be specified on drawings but the quality and appearance can still be difficult to visualise and document.

I am drawing up a list of must haves. Such as: choice of brand of kitchen appliances but space and electricity/water/gas lines included, air conditioning, solar panel system and own installers during the construction. Double glazing on the first floor is a must because of noise problems.

Very good prices. What about the quality. Have you compare the final products?

I'm hesitant to give advice, because I'm struggling to reconcile "indulgent level of finish" with the list of builders you've given and the emphasis on price.

With custom builders, provided that your not making the house bigger then sometimes doing a minor change does not attract any variation.

I have found on a personal level that a custom home builder can be just as competitive as a project builder.

I would get a soil test prior to signing any construction contract. Most project builders will allow soil classification up to "S", but in Brisbane I have never seen any sites that are classified as S. If a soil test is not done and you have already signed a contract, then it will leave you open to variations as they have the right to charge. I would do research first as each builder works differently. Hope this helps.

I am not sure who is a project builder or custom builder. I will only shortlist a builder who has already built based on a design that suits my land. I hate being a guinea pig for some gung ho builder! ;)

I'm hesitant to give advice, because I'm struggling to reconcile "indulgent level of finish" with the list of builders you've given and the emphasis on price.

Some of the builders I listed have indulgent options on their designs. IMO, indulgent finish includes polished granite porch, extra wide pivot entry door, stainless steel/glass balustrade for the stairwel, pyrolytic oven. Ultimately, indulgent finish is having something over the top.

What do you think of Ownit's Palazzo design? It has a 6 star rating despite Qld not having BASIX. With a name like that the design portends something ostentatious and well built as well.

Price can be flexible, but I do like having value for money! :D

Check out Stylemaster Homes' website for 2 storey house plans. I reckon they're the best looking project builder out there.

for those who have built before, what is the typical time frame in which it takes for house to be built - from when you pay deposit to handover ?

Back