Brisbane house closer to the CBD?

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about purchasing an investment property in Brisbane with the aim of perhaps moving into it one day.

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a free standing house in a decent suburb that is a maximum 30 minute drive to the Brisbane CBD in peak hour (assuming no accidents :) )? This is just a personal preference in terms of distance - I'll end up taking the train or bus but I think that criteria is a good place to start. My budget is $450k. Any tips on suburbs that I should look into?

Thank you,
Mal

Toowong?....

$100K cheaper than Bardon and just next door. But you'll have to be on the ball to achieve that price...

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=12464731&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1263187886

Keep an eye on Bardon, Toowong and Indooroopilly.

Cheers,
Michael

I don't know that $450k will get you a free standing house in those areas.

You don't say if you prefer north or south side?

$450k is enough to get you into the bottom end of Holland Park or Holland Park West markets. They are both right next to the freeway and about 7km out. Salisbury and Nathan might be worth a look too.

I don't know that $450k will get you a free standing house in those areas.
It will, but you have to be on top of your game and not in a hurry. A sale went through recently for a free standing brick veneer in Bardon for $459K. Great location, great potential and under market.

But who wants to pay the going market rate? Work hard and reap the rewards.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about purchasing an investment property in Brisbane with the aim of perhaps moving into it one day.

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a free standing house in a decent suburb that is a maximum 30 minute drive to the Brisbane CBD in peak hour (assuming no accidents :) )? This is just a personal preference in terms of distance - I'll end up taking the train or bus but I think that criteria is a good place to start. My budget is $450k. Any tips on suburbs that I should look into?

Thank you,
Mal
I don't think you would have to go out that far,you have to be within that 7-10 klm inner ring both sides of the river,do some homework on Moorooka
Rocklea,,Annerley,Stones Corner,look within those small inner pockets,there
is still a few in Moorooka 600sqm plus zoned lmr,for around the 400kmark
knock downs and not DGA areas,but can be rented for $250.00 plus a week, with a small 20k reno,imho.. good luck willair..
http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/
http://www.jensenproperty.com.au.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a free standing house in a decent suburb that is a maximum 30 minute drive to the Brisbane CBD in peak hour My budget is $450k. Any tips on suburbs that I should look into?

Mal

There's not much that you can get for under $450K to fit in with your requirements. A maximum 30 minutes drive in peak hour would mean that you'd have to get something under 10, possibly 8 kms, from CBD. I live on the northside and you may get something pretty old in Kedron, Chermside, Stafford or Everton Park.

Thanks everyone appreciate - will start to look into those suburbs. Any other tips?
Yep, don't muck around for too long, and make sure you stay at it daily so you don't miss that excellent listing that someone else snatches from under you. Alternatively a good BA might not be a bad idea. There's a couple of active ones in Brisbane...

Good luck.

Cheers,
Michael

Yep, don't muck around for too long, and make sure you stay at it daily so you don't miss that excellent listing that someone else snatches from under you. Michael

I agree with Michael. Just read today that Brisbane may the star performer in 2010 as it didn't do anywhere near as well as Melbourne and Sydney in 2009. There is more infrastructure being put in than any other city in Australia. Also, people are still migrating here in large numbers.

Who are the top BA's in Brisbane folks here could recommend? Life would be a lot easier if I could outsource the research!

450k is near entry level in brisbane now. I got a flyer in the mail the other day from springfield lakes - there you're in the 350k range.

I did a few opens around oxley/chelmer last weekend in the 450-550 range... really nothing jumped out at me. Slowly progressing north.

Dont know if you noticed, but the units and townhouses in the same price ranges seem to be in a lot better condition than the houses, and the rents not that different. Price for a townhouse/unit in corinda/sherwood vs. Paddington, Ashgrove, Bardon - not too far apart.

Dont ignore the cashflow side of the equation as well. You might find a place you really like but its a dog of a rental

Have you looked at building by any chance...

An excellent selection of housing around the Banyo, Virginia and Nudgee area (10-12k from the CBD) for this price range, mostly older style but some newer for this price range on smaller blocks, depending on how new the house has to be the land size can be a bit larger. Plenty of value adding choices with the land as well. This postcode (4014) is close to the airport (trade coast development which is massive) and gateway arterial for trips to the north and south coast as well.

Not sure why anyone would want to brave the car traffic and CBD parking unless they absolutely have to, you can hop on a train and read a book while you travel to work in <30mins from here.

Back