brisbane massive hail storm

Holy **** that was a ridiculous storm. All my houses have smashed in windows and rain in everywhere. Cars dented all over. Bloody crazy.

Biggest hail I've ever seen. Easily cricket ball size. Smashed windscreen and all panels will need replacing if not written off.

Tried to get a car under cover and could only half way do that, no way I was stepping out into that hail so had to wait and hope a window didn't smash. Brisbane weather!

My list so far for ppor 12 casement windows smashed. Water in everywhere. Even had the Xmas tree 8m from the smashed windows have glass decorations broken from hail. Electronics drenched. Every panel on both cars dented. Smashed windows at all the investment properties. Power out, chicken with a injured leg, 6 wild birds injured in the backyard, multiple trees down at my property. Lightening hit something very close to us. Think it may have been one of our trees.

Luckily wife and dogs uninjured.

I went to work in a major shopping centre and was in a shop downstairs and didn't even hear it. Son's car seems to have every panel damaged whilst he was stuck on the ICB in a log jam.

It hailed at Coorparoo, but not huge.

We've not heard of any damage to IPs. Tim, you really copped it. I hope things dry out and your insurer is kind.

My list so far for ppor 12 casement windows smashed. Water in everywhere. Even had the Xmas tree 8m from the smashed windows have glass decorations broken from hail. Electronics drenched. Every panel on both cars dented. Smashed windows at all the investment properties. Power out, chicken with a injured leg, 6 wild birds injured in the backyard, multiple trees down at my property. Lightening hit something very close to us. Think it may have been one of our trees.

Luckily wife and dogs uninjured.

Sounds bad - hope you come through the other side ok!!

The Y-man

6 wild birds injured in the backyard,
Our house came out of it pretty well unscathed.. wasn't too happy to see one of our resident magpie chicks with a few lost feathers and bright red chest.. getting hit by a large hailstone wouldn't be fun.. seemed to be ok though :)

Significant damage. Roof taken off, all windows on one side of the house all smashed. Holes cut throughout the ceiling to allow water to drain through so the roof doesn't collapse. Tenants have already moved out. We've been told the house was in the path of the storm... Insurance claim already lodged. :(

Bugger Elizabeth!

How long does the whole "claiming insurance" process usually take?

We've got a fair bit of water damage inside. The nice new $20 000 kitchen has been slashed up by flying broken glass, plus the water damage has caused the paint to split, and some chip board cabinets to swell up.

Then we have about 30 panels of glass to be replaced.

The thing is I can probably touch up the kitchen okay-ish. And replace the windows DIY for $200.

Think my excess with westpac insurance will be something like $400.

How does the insurance process even work? Do they replace the items, or do they just give you cash to go spend yourself?

Back