Brisbane North - Purchase and Renovation

I'm particularly interested in how the painter deals with the asbestos in the bathroom; especially the metal bead/strip between the paneling. Is he going to remove the bead and then replace with new once the Asbestos is painted?

this was my suggestion to paint the asbestos wall panelling instead of replacing and blowing the budget through the roof (sorry ceiling) all trims will need a coat of metal finish to accept the paint then all will have to be primed and sealed then top coated

Good one arms. Will be keen to come and have a look at the finished result. Is it a long term solution would you say? It's not something I've ever specified as I've been afraid of the longevity of it. Aside from the metal trim, would you just use a standard 'all surface' primer on the Asbestos?

ps sorry to sabotage your thread Tonibell - I'll be finished soon!

Good one arms. Will be keen to come and have a look at the finished result. Is it a long term solution would you say? It's not something I've ever specified as I've been afraid of the longevity of it. Aside from the metal trim, would you just use a standard 'all surface' primer on the Asbestos?

ps sorry to sabotage your thread Tonibell - I'll be finished soon!

the asbestos sheet is porous to a degree and will accept an all purpose primer, the aluminium joining strips may need to be steel wooled to take the oxidation off the surface .

[
A bit of background, after years of having two heavily negatively geared properties in Sydney we stumbled upon a magazine article in early 2012 on the cash flow benefits of granny flats. We then quickly moved to make both properties dual occupancy and they are now both close to neutrally geared. During this process we discovered Somersoft and directly as a result purchased another property in Western Sydney and put a granny flat on that during 2013.)

Hi Tonibell,
Firstly, Congrats!!!! on your achievements so far. Love hearing stories about turning what once was a negatively geared portfolio in to one that is now obviously much easier to sustain! The gf option is great!

I wanted to asked you if I may, having added the granny flats, have you had those properties re-valued? If so, have you gained any equity or has there been not much in the way of equity gain. A lot of feed back I see is that for every $ you put in, when revaluing you only get 70c back as immediate equity. Just curious, because I am not far from making a final decision on a property in Newcastle area and the equity issue is holding me back.

Many thanks,
Tgan

[
Hi Tonibell,
Firstly, Congrats!!!! on your achievements so far. Love hearing stories about turning what once was a negatively geared portfolio in to one that is now obviously much easier to sustain! The gf option is great!

I wanted to asked you if I may, having added the granny flats, have you had those properties re-valued? If so, have you gained any equity or has there been not much in the way of equity gain. A lot of feed back I see is that for every $ you put in, when revaluing you only get 70c back as immediate equity. Just curious, because I am not far from making a final decision on a property in Newcastle area and the equity issue is holding me back.

Hi Tegan,

Definitely would have been annoyed if we had off sold out a couple of years ago because of the properties cash flow challenges.

The properties have not been valued since we added the granny flats - that might happen a bit later. The granny flats work best in the high value (and low yield) suburbs where you are fully utilising the expensive land and location. We have basically the same granny flat in two different locations - with the rental from one being 70% higher than the other - that has to impact the valuation. In our case the rent for the granny flat is about 75% that of the main house.

this was my suggestion to paint the asbestos wall panelling instead of replacing and blowing the budget through the roof (sorry ceiling) all trims will need a coat of metal finish to accept the paint then all will have to be primed and sealed then top coated

Nice to see you on the thread, arms. You are right that it was your idea to keep the bathroom layout as it was - hopefully we are still thanking you for it at the end !

Must say that "arms" has been great with the kitchen design and with a lot of ideas for the rest of the place. It is so important to get the kitchen layout right and then to be able to communicate to all the other trades - we will know in a few weeks if we have been able to do this !

Managing an interstate reno

Tonibell, your post and experiences to date are very timely for us! We're under contract on a property in north Brisbane, a 70's brick home in original condition. It could do with a new kitchen and update to the bathroom, but we live in Melbourne and haven't ever done any type of reno before.

We're wondering if we should proceed with the purchase given our perceived challenges of managing this work from a distance. We could draw on Somersoft recommendations for good tradies (as you have from wylie and others), but how do you intend managing the quality of their work, living interstate yourself?

Very interested in your experiences to date (and those of others who've done the same), as well as any advice you all may have on how feasible it is to manage a significant reno from interstate.

Thanks in advance,
GreenGoblin

Tonibell, your post and experiences to date are very timely for us! We're under contract on a property in north Brisbane, a 70's brick home in original condition. It could do with a new kitchen and update to the bathroom, but we live in Melbourne and haven't ever done any type of reno before.

We're wondering if we should proceed with the purchase given our perceived challenges of managing this work from a distance. We could draw on Somersoft recommendations for good tradies (as you have from wylie and others), but how do you intend managing the quality of their work, living interstate yourself?

Very interested in your experiences to date (and those of others who've done the same), as well as any advice you all may have on how feasible it is to manage a significant reno from interstate.

Thanks in advance,
GreenGoblin

Good question Green Golblin, and there would be many others interested in the comments that come through. Are you looking to buy-reno-sell or buy-reno-rent?? Have you done the figures for each scenario? (eg what is the maximum you could afford for the renos in each scenario?)

I would also be interested in how you could get others to 'project manage' the renos for you in another city. I am aware there are businesses that do provide a project managed reno service (in Sydney anyway) but I think these would be more expensive as you're going to a 'one-stop-shop'.

If you don't get any joy here (which I'm sure you would), you could start a new thread asking that specific question.

Cheers,

Thanks in advance,
GreenGoblin

to lessen any chance of problems its better to try to get a tradesman who can do both jobs under direction from you afar

Great location to buy, just purchased a renovator not far from there in chermside, planning a very similar schedule myself with renovations. I have asbestos in the kitchen and bathroom to, if you get stuck with any trades let me know. I'm a plumber by trade with plenty of contacts.
Other than that keep up with the details, would like to see how it progresses and the final result.!

Thanks in advance,
GreenGoblin

You are already through the hardest part ! If you have got this far then don't let the reno part stop you.

We are not doing the reno fully remotely - we on site regularly - if you can schedule even a couple of trips it would make things easier. We got some cheap airfares when the sales were on.

What is working well for us is that we have a really good plan for the whole renovation. We basically knew our target market and what we were trying to deliver before we spoke to any of the trades - so we knew what we were going to do and what we were going to leave this time around. We also had a realistic budget for each of the areas.

It meant we had lists for each trade for quoting and so we were able to get multiple comparative quotes - which is important. While we wanted to go with trade recommendations, we also needed to make sure they were competitive.

While things still evolve, we feel on top of what needs to be done and the decision making is less stressful. We have a heap of pictures and know the result we want so are comfortable giving direction remotely.

Thank you for the replies to date. ChrisA1, the property already has a tenant, who would like to stay on (which would suit us) but who is paying below market rent. We'd wait a while before starting any renos, so we could claim part of them as repairs (e.g. polishing floorboards or doing any painting). So buy-rent-reno-rent.

arms, not sure what you mean by "both jobs" when you talk about having "a tradesman who can do both jobs" - can you please clarify?

Tonibell, thanks for the detailed response - you're obviously doing a much bigger reno than we're considering. How do you ensure the quality of the work being done inbetween your trips up to the property?

arms, not sure what you mean by "both jobs" when you talk about having "a tradesman who can do both jobs" - can you please clarify?

Tonibell, thanks for the detailed response - you're obviously doing a much bigger reno than we're considering. How do you ensure the quality of the work being done inbetween your trips up to the property?

I think "both jobs" are the kitchen and bathroom you mentioned.

As for our reno - we have a good discussion about what is required before the work starts and then we do an inspection before the final payment.

The (future) property manager is also really helpful and would do inspections if we needed. That might be an option for you to look at.

Great location to buy, just purchased a renovator not far from there in chermside, planning a very similar schedule myself with renovations. I have asbestos in the kitchen and bathroom to, if you get stuck with any trades let me know. I'm a plumber by trade with plenty of contacts.
Other than that keep up with the details, would like to see how it progresses and the final result.!

Always good to have a plumber with contacts to call on Doddzie, I might take you up on the offer - sounds like you are well placed to do a good reno.

What are you going to with your asbestos ? Still a bit nervous about how our bathroom will finish up.

I'll put a couple of progress photos shortly.

Always good to have a plumber with contacts to call on Doddzie, I might take you up on the offer - sounds like you are well placed to do a good reno.

What are you going to with your asbestos ? Still a bit nervous about how our bathroom will finish up.

Ahh, the great Somersoft coming through! Great thread and great networking! :)

Attachments

• David iPhone 182.jpg
    David iPhone 182.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 134
  • David iPhone 186.jpg
    David iPhone 186.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 120
The walls that has been painted - they are a patterned wood panel and have come up better than expected.

Attachments

• David iPhone 181.jpg
    David iPhone 181.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 129
  • David iPhone 185.jpg
    David iPhone 185.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 120
The new doors and handles - primed then painted.

Attachments

• David iPhone 184.jpg
    David iPhone 184.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 98
  • David iPhone 183.jpg
    David iPhone 183.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 101

I'll get rid of it when I fix the kitchen and bathroom up. Gyprock is a much nicer finish, people that don't know much about asbestos are scared of it, and I guarantee your tenant/buyer will much prefer knowing your property doesn't contain it. I did the same Reno to a house I bought in kedron a few years ago and got rid of the asbestos which cost me around 1 thousand for an asbestos bin, had to buy plastic to wrap it and duct tape it up, and have a mate down the road with the asbestos removal license. Had an asbestos roof to, but there's no point replacing that. So approx 1500 I think it came to mates rates. How much is your bathroom costing? Where are you getting your kitchen from and what sort of setup?

I'll get rid of it when I fix the kitchen and bathroom up. Gyprock is a much nicer finish, people that don't know much about asbestos are scared of it, and I guarantee your tenant/buyer will much prefer knowing your property doesn't contain it. I did the same Reno to a house I bought in kedron a few years ago and got rid of the asbestos which cost me around 1 thousand for an asbestos bin, had to buy plastic to wrap it and duct tape it up, and have a mate down the road with the asbestos removal license. Had an asbestos roof to, but there's no point replacing that. So approx 1500 I think it came to mates rates. How much is your bathroom costing?

Agree that replacing it is the best solution. The initial plan was to gut the bathrooms and do a bit of a re-design, but now we are just painting the walls, spraying the bath tub and replacing the vanity. This gives some wothwhile savings across 3 bathrooms.

The painting of the bathroom was not separated - but all up we would be spending around $5K total on the 3 bathrooms.

Where are you getting your kitchen from and what sort of setup?

It is a combined kithen and laundry as currently there is a shared laundry only.
We are using "arms" from this site (kitcheninabox.com.au) who is a wealth of information about a whole lot of areas and really helpful. May he can describe the setup better than I can.

Back