Brisbane North / South Bypass Tunnel

Originally posted by PIppety

Just wondering if anyone had seen the proposal for the Brisbane tunnel. Interesting to hear peoples thoughts on whether it is a good idea or not ?

I think bypassing Brisbane is a GREAT idea :p

I too disagree with Steve.

I've now been to Brisbane about five in times my life.

I really enjoyed one of those visits.

I'm not sure which one it was.

I rest my case :)

In other news, new data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) show that house prices are rising strongly, with the much-hyped property bust seeming a distant memory. During the December quarter, Brisbane emerged as the city with the highest growth for year-on-year followed by Sydney and then Adelaide. The house price index found that nationally, established house prices rose by an impressive 18.4 per cent.

PIppety :D

I have found Brisbane outer suburb (ie. Marsden/Logan) to be doing extremely well... I think property prices have gone up by about 50% over the last 6 months.

Back in august last year, I was looking at houses around 75K with a 10% yield, now most houses are over $110K.

Thanks to Dale GG's seminar last year where I met someone who told me about investing in Logan, now I've got a positively geared property that has increased significantly in value, and it has a spare backyard that i can subdivide.

... but knowing what I know now, I should have bought a few more of them.

Dear Pippety,

Agree we need to hit both Steve and Geoff over the head on this thread.

Thanks for putting up the link.

Couple of quick thoughts:

-Is a tunnel really the answer? Should we be encouraging the use of cars? The cities with the biggest populations in the world spend time on the public transport system (trains and buses) rather than take steps to encourage car use.

-A toll. Whilst financially tolls make many road projects possible does the general public like a toll? Did you know that the original Sydney Harbour bridge toll was only setup to "pay" for the bridge. The intention was to "remove" the toll after the bridge had been paid for. However since it was a such a lucrative revenue stream the government changed it's mind and keep the toll. So Sydneysiders have been paying for the bridge for the last 68 years.

-Is it the right project at this stage? Brisbane would be benefited by having a rail circuit created linking the existing rail-lines in a circle. (Not unlike that existing in Sydney.) This would provide greater benefit to add in continuing support transportation needs of the fastest growing region in Australia. Think also about the positive impact this will have on a wider range of properties...........

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
Originally posted by PIppety

That's a shame. You don't know what you're missing out on !

Hey Pippety,

I LOOOOOVE Brisbane :D

Wasn't the question "Will the bypass be a good idea?"

So I was agreeing that it is a great idea!

Steve
:p

PS: Agree we need to hit both Steve and Geoff over the head on this thread.

Sunstone, this is starting to sound like Sim's great debate idea
:D

Dear Steve,

I LOOOOOVE Brisbane Wasn't the question "Will the bypass be a good idea?"

So I was agreeing that it is a great idea!

Okay Steve I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. ;) Important that you as well as I stay politically correct :-----------)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Dear Steve,

Getting a bit too early in the morning for you and I to have the most thought provocative debate.

Time for you and I both to get some sleep. :) :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Good on Ya dtraeger

Sunstone...
You should know.....

ya dont sleep with the enemy

<Tongue in Cheek>

On the serious side...

Being a Civil Engineer
I can see some positives and negitives with the tunnel.

+ves
Assist Commercial/Business access
Could assist fringe res areas.

-ve
Could lower growth and values of Res Props in close prox.

I think the bypass tunnel is a GREAT idea...

As long as they don't get Transurban to build it...

I don't think we need a giant sieve in BNE...

asy :D :D :D

Sunstone,

Thanks as always for your valuable input.

I have to say that I agree with you in terms of making it less attractive for people to use cars but it is important to put the tunnel in perspective.

What is the aim of the tunnel ? It appears that the main focus is to keep traffic away from the city that doesn't need to be there in the first place. This is a different issue in my opinion to stopping people from driving into the city itself.

I totally agree that Brisbane needs to improve it's public transport and they seem to be taking reasonable steps to achieve this but certainly not doing everything they can.

I suppose my point is that even in Sydney (with a fantastic public transport system in my opinion) I will not really consider public transport from one side of town to the other especially if it involves a change of trains or buses from the city itself. I will however drive on the eastern distributor and pay a toll for the convenience of not getting stuck in CBD traffic when I have no need to actually go to the CBD.

Cheers
PIppety

Dear Pippety,

Agree that the new Sydney tunnel to the airport put in before the Olympics certainly works well and dramatically changes travel times to the airport.

(On the side Sydney, Brisbane and I believe Melbourne E-Toll tags are interchangeable :) ---- On the way to an integrated east coast electronic toll system )

What is the aim of the tunnel ? It appears that the main focus is to keep traffic away from the city that doesn't need to be there in the first place. This is a different issue in my opinion to stopping people from driving into the city itself.

Agree there is credence in your line of thinking. Again with my comments above on the Sydney airport tunnel a similar project could be useful in reducing travel times. Another area to consider is that there is the Gateway Arterial road. Whilst this is a toll road :--------( it certainly is having an impact on reducing the amount of traffic going through the city. Perhaps the end of the centenary highway should be developed more to expidite a similar bypass road on the western side of the city? Maybe the public should be educated to utilise these types of roads more?

What concerns myself is the issue of how many projects can be pushed at once? Don't get myself wrong, multiple projects that develop infrastructure in a positive way are good. However governments only have limited capital available to them and must be linked to the best projects.

I totally agree that Brisbane needs to improve it's public transport and they seem to be taking reasonable steps to achieve this but certainly not doing everything they can.

Great. Yes rapidly growing cities can certainly learn a lot from overseas countries. Integrated ticketing certainly has it's advantages.

I suppose my point is that even in Sydney (with a fantastic public transport system in my opinion) I will not really consider public transport from one side of town to the other especially if it involves a change of trains or buses from the city itself. I will however drive on the eastern distributor and pay a toll for the convenience of not getting stuck in CBD traffic when I have no need to actually go to the CBD.

Agree that the eastern distributor has it's place. I also agree that if there is a change of buses that this would certainly discourage usage. For trains however as long as they have a high enough level of frequency I do not see a change of trains as being a barrier. In the US I understand that all local planes use a complex network of hubs (No lets not talk about United Airlines bankruptcy:-----) ) which means that frequent changes are necessary but also means a greater frequency of flights between destinations and a way of increasing the efficiency of moving people throughout the country.

Myself in Korea I have found that changing trains was not a barrier as trains arrive every 5 minutes (2 minutes in peak hour) so not a restricting factor.

Thanks as always for your valuable input.

Appreciate your input as well. Discussing important infrastructural development plans is healthy. Next step is getting more of the key decision makers to read this forum........... Where there is a will there is a way.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back