Brisbane - QUU Infrastructure charges on 2 lot to 2 title "splitter" block

Brisbane has a lot of 400sqm blocks with 10m frontages. occasionally, people purchased two blocks and got the titles amalgamated so only one set of rates is issued.

These blocks do not need subdivision as you can simply demolish and build two homes. However, you need to check if is not in a DCP, services are available, no BOS and other checks.

Then you have 800sqm blocks on one title than need development approval and development cost can be around $80k plus to create two new free hold titles.

The above strategy is usually called splitters.

Exactly what Sailesh said mate.

One of the pros of these type of blocks as opposed to similar sized blocks with only 1 lot, is that you don't need to lodge any form of development application to BCC, nor pay infrastructure charges for the subdivision which can cost between 40-60k on top of extra holding costs (up to six months, can be quicker) for approval.

It's "simply" a paper exercise to create a title for each of the two lots. You could say it's already "subdivided" when you buy it.

The issue here is that because of the above, people would have historically paid a decent premium for "splitters", the largest component of this being (assuming only splitting into 2 lots) the infrastructure charges of 27k.

With QUU (not BCC...YET) now trying to level these infrastructure costs at splitters, you would have paid a premium to buy the block (somewhere around the cost of the DA process) so getting spanked with infrastructure charges means you are almost getting double charged if that makes sense.

I will keep you updated about the QUU response to my dispute. It is not cricket.

Please keep posting WilliamB. I like your style. Don't take any crap.
I'm looking at Brisbane for a small development this year.
What's a splitting block? Is it a duplex site? Battle axe land subdividing? Just not very familar with QLD. Thanks.

It's a bit odd the way it's occurred. We haven't been hit with charges on any of our other projects between July 2014 and now thankfully, but it's a concerning precedent, which is why I'm going to continue fighting it as hard as possible.

I remember back in early 2000 1 into two only cost around $20k. Council sees developers as the minority so rather than increasing rates they slug developers to raise revenue. Big rate increases leads to immediate sacking of the encumberent council members.

There was a big jump when the Goverment spent money as part of drought prevention with the pipeline and desalination.

Unfortunately, this trend will continue as everyone thinks developers are a greed bunch and they dont see the long term effect on housing affordability.

Got awesome news this morning.

QUU Infrastructure charges were amended from $14,000 to zero.

Please see the screenshot attached. (I couldn't copy and paste from PDF and couldn't be bothered retyping it!)

I am told by my town planner that many have not been awarded this correction, instead offered a small "discount". Some others have not been given the charges at all. All very strange.

PM me if you want more details.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 10.57.37 am.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 10.57.37 am.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 172
Good for your William! Hard work paid off.
But isn't it bad for other investors who were offered "discounts"? They are not consistent. It is still a sour approach by them. Heavy hearts for future investors who's gotta fight the same way.

That's why I'm posting on here JSOE, so that anyone in the same boat can use this to help them as precedent is applicable.

Cheers!

Back