Brisbane: Secondary Dwelling

I am looking at buying a large block of land which is EM Zoned, but need to boost the yield to make it viable so I am thinking of adding a secondary dwelling "for my mother in law".

This is the relevant extract from the BCC Draft City Plan

"The draft new City Plan will allow for an increase to the maximum size of a secondary dwelling (granny flat) on a low density residential lot from 70m2 to 80m2 without a development application. The draft new City Plan states the secondary dwelling is within 20 metres of the main house and must be occupied by one or more members of the same household as the main house. Otherwise, a development application is required.

Any future proposal to lease the secondary dwelling to a person not related to a member of the main household or to subdivide the secondary dwelling from the main house, would still trigger the need for a new development application"

The block I am looking at has an old house on it with a crappy extension. The original house is about 80m2.

I have a bunch of questions and would really appreciate input from the more experienced members here:
1. Am I able to downgrade the original house to be the secondary dwelling and build a new house?
2. I'm guessing I will need to do a development application. How do I go about this?
3. Should I make an offer conditional upon approval of the development application? How best to word this in the special conditions?

Any progress on this. I am interested to see if you can do this and what the rules are.

Out of interest what suburb are you considering doing this in?

if you want to rent out separately then don't bother. search some of the threads on here and you will see stuff about the case I have been running

Back