Brisbane suburbs - 400-500k

I've been researching for an investment property in Brisbane/Logan and just wondering what people's thoughts are on some suburbs.

My budget is 400-500k. I'm look for a reasonable rental return to support serving the loan as well as capital growth in the medium-long term.

Being fairly new at investing, I'm looking at something that is 'easy to maintain' ie. doesn't require major renovations as I don't think I have reno experience and I don't really want any surprise extra costs on top of the cost of purchasing the property.

The suburbs I like are:

Coorparoo - unfortunately, my budget doesn't really allow me to buy a house that doesn't require renovations so I'd be looking at units. What's better 2bed+2bath for around 380-420k or 2bed+1bath for around 300-350k?

Annerley - Cheaper than Coorparoo. I can get a 3bed unit in the low 400s.

Moorooka - Under 10k to the city. Should be able to find a house in the 400s.

Keperra - 10-12km to the city, a leafy suburb and I've seen some nice lowset brick homes that are easy to maintain on a 600+ square metre block of land for around 450k.

Stafford - Few older style renovated homes in the 400s. Closer to city than Keperra and close to the new tunnel.

Nundah - Lots of talk about Nundah but I'm concerned that there seems to be so many units/apartments on the market. Seems like a very high rental suburb.

Carina - Cheaper than Coorparoo. For the same price at a unit, you get a house in Carina.

Logan suburbs (Logan Central, Kingston) - Houses in the 200s. Cheap and on the train line and may allow me to get two properties instead of one.

So what do people think? Am I looking at the right areas? Do people have preference for particular suburbs listed above? Eg. Keperra vs Moorooka for a house in 400s? Or Carina vs Stafford?

Thanks!

I've been researching for an investment property in Brisbane/Logan and just wondering what people's thoughts are on some suburbs.

My budget is 400-500k. I'm look for a reasonable rental return to support serving the loan as well as capital growth in the medium-long term.

Being fairly new at investing, I'm looking at something that is 'easy to maintain' ie. doesn't require major renovations as I don't think I have reno experience and I don't really want any surprise extra costs on top of the cost of purchasing the property.

The suburbs I like are:

Coorparoo - unfortunately, my budget doesn't really allow me to buy a house that doesn't require renovations so I'd be looking at units. What's better 2bed+2bath for around 380-420k or 2bed+1bath for around 300-350k?

Annerley - Cheaper than Coorparoo. I can get a 3bed unit in the low 400s.

Moorooka - Under 10k to the city. Should be able to find a house in the 400s.

Keperra - 10-12km to the city, a leafy suburb and I've seen some nice lowset brick homes that are easy to maintain on a 600+ square metre block of land for around 450k.

Stafford - Few older style renovated homes in the 400s. Closer to city than Keperra and close to the new tunnel.

Nundah - Lots of talk about Nundah but I'm concerned that there seems to be so many units/apartments on the market. Seems like a very high rental suburb.

Carina - Cheaper than Coorparoo. For the same price at a unit, you get a house in Carina.

Logan suburbs (Logan Central, Kingston) - Houses in the 200s. Cheap and on the train line and may allow me to get two properties instead of one.

So what do people think? Am I looking at the right areas? Do people have preference for particular suburbs listed above? Eg. Keperra vs Moorooka for a house in 400s? Or Carina vs Stafford?

Thanks!

id say 10km from cbd max with some land such
as townhouses. Of areas you mentiond id pick either carina/heights or annerly

Really interested in this thread. Brisbane's affordability is just so much better within 10km of the CBD than Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. Great bang for the buck if you believe the fundamentals around population growth and longer-term demand.

Can anyone explain in these regions which have best potential for capital growth via future developments, e.g. if I purchase a resi IP is there an easy way to grasp whether there are subdivision/zoning options?

id say 10km from cbd max with some land such
as townhouses. Of areas you mentiond id pick either carina/heights or annerly
Those and Wishart, Mansfield, holland Park, etc area also. I'd get a house over unit.
Really interested in this thread. Brisbane's affordability is just so much better within 10km of the CBD than Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. Great bang for the buck if you believe the fundamentals around population growth and longer-term demand.

Can anyone explain in these regions which have best potential for capital growth via future developments, e.g. if I purchase a resi IP is there an easy way to grasp whether there are subdivision/zoning options?
I think Perth still has some better opportunities than Bris, eg http://realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-115137343?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

Ferny Hills, Zillmere.

Ferny Hills - In place infrastructure. Rail line and station upgraded to provide a major transport corridor into the city.

Zillemere - CHEAP! Big Blocks! My pick.

Ferny Hills, Zillmere.

Ferny Hills - In place infrastructure. Rail line and station upgraded to provide a major transport corridor into the city.

Zillemere - CHEAP! Big Blocks! My pick.

Just too far from city in my opinion to get strong CG

You're thinking in geographical terms. You have to think in accessibility terms.

Tingalpa is within 10kms of the CBD but has limited public transport and facilities.

I think your general rule of thumb is accurate but should only be used as a slide rule.

Just watch out there will could be a bit of an influx of new townhouses and units around the Mt Gravatt area as a result of some large scale rezoning as part of a new neighbourhood plan.

May not happen for 12 months or so whilst DA's are finalised but worth taking note of....

You can get 6-7% yield in parts of Logan if you are looking for some good cashflow. Logan also has a good population growth and a fair bit of investment going on. I think it has the potential to have higher growth than Brisbane due to it's lower cost base, of course that alone is not a reason to invest there.

I have a 4 year old townhouse in underwood valued around $360k which rents for $410/week (6% yield) and it's been vacant maybe 2 weeks in that 4 years I've held it. Pretty good rental demand there.

From what I've heard from the experts that I follow, most areas of Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich should do well over the next couple of years.

With 400k-500k you don't have to invest in logan.

Salisbury is where I've invested. You can get pretty good deals there, and it's good for renting to uni students if you want to do a share house setup. Has a train line too plus easier access to pacific motorway than annerley. You'll be pushing it to get anything decent in Annerley for 400-500k.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-salisbury-115009347

You could probably get them down to $440k for that one, and the place rents for $610 per week apparently. So that's a 7.5% return which isn't too bad.

Back