Brisbane Suburbs - Please Help me decide!

Thanks eggnog, granted I moved a bit quickly. It will be a few months now until I either have enough equity or saved up another deposit for my next ip. In that time I am planning to do a lot of self education, seminars and read as much of this forum as physically possible and be in a better position for the next purchase. Thanks for the advice :)

Nice buy.

I have a property in Ferny Hills a lot like this one. And as mentioned (if legal height) you can build underneath that and make it a 4 bed residence or ultimately make it a self contained apartment (get council approval and rent it out separately). Good luck and good buying.

Thanks Roachy - that makes me feel a lot better! :)

Have you done that with your property, out of interest was it expensive? I need to work out further down the line what will add the most value, the RE suggested removing the sunroom and turning that into a side and front wrap around balcony, the property already has a large yard so I'm not confident that would add alot of value and it would remove internal living space.

I could either turn the sunroom into a 4th bedroom, next to the lounge or turn the downstairs into a rumpus with a 2nd bathroom, 4 bed 2 bath... although that would cause me to lose 1 garage... how do you decide what will add the most value, experience no doubt but other than that is it down to RE's?

here's the floor plan.
http://i2.au.reastatic.net/raw/601b...17a3e785f27d684da0c0fc5a254e18/floorplan1.jpg

Thanks Roachy - that makes me feel a lot better! :)

Have you done that with your property, out of interest was it expensive? I need to work out further down the line what will add the most value, the RE suggested removing the sunroom and turning that into a side and front wrap around balcony, the property already has a large yard so I'm not confident that would add alot of value and it would remove internal living space.

I could either turn the sunroom into a 4th bedroom, next to the lounge or turn the downstairs into a rumpus with a 2nd bathroom, 4 bed 2 bath... although that would cause me to lose 1 garage... how do you decide what will add the most value, experience no doubt but other than that is it down to RE's?

here's the floor plan.
http://i2.au.reastatic.net/raw/601b...17a3e785f27d684da0c0fc5a254e18/floorplan1.jpg

What's the outlook from the Sunroom?

From Streetview the outlook (perceived) looks pretty good facing West, so the large deck idea could be a goer. I would definitely not make it into a bedroom as 2m bedrooms are tiny.

Perhaps knock down that wall splitting the Kitchen and Lounge to allow open plan living, and allow the possible deck to excel?

If legal height I would build additional bedrooms below, make bedroom 2 larger, turn bedroom one into a study or separate living area. As Bedroom one is just too small at 2.6m wide. But you would need to do some major renovations for that to happen.

BTW, I have yet to do a renovation on Ferny Hills. My wife and I have two separate ideas.

Wifes: Put Kitchen downstairs onto a large wooden floating deck. Add another room where the kitchen is (making it 4), put living and dining downstairs with the kitchen. Sounds crazy but would look good.

Mine: Add 1 bedroom downstairs with a rumpus room. Make a deck off to the side.

I'll make some pics to show the ideas.

Attachments

• Current Floorplan.jpg
    Current Floorplan.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 70
  • My Floorplan.jpg
    My Floorplan.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Wifes Floorplan.jpg
    Wifes Floorplan.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
HI Tazy, congratulations.

I can offer a couple of suggestions to improve the value and liveability of this house.

From your floor plan I see that 2 bedrooms and sunroom are facing west. That will be very hot in Summer although snuggly warm in winter. You could build a deck with roof across the bedrooms to shade them (lots of $$$) or put in outside blinds that can be adjusted to allow in the sun or block it as required (not as many $$$).

I would do something across the front - from the photo it could do with at least a coat of paint. You could build a deck off the living room with large doors.

Underneath I would add a toilet or full bathroom/laundry and free up the laundry upstairs. If you make the deck large enough, residents can park underneath the deck then you've got plenty of space downstairs for a rumpus and extra bedroom/storage. I use my upstairs laundry as a study and we kept all the plumbing in case future residents want to retain it as a laundry.

Unlike Sydney it is very difficult to rent out to two unrelated parties in Brisbane. But by adding an extra couple of rooms downstairs it brings the house up to a 4/2 which will command higher rents. Whether the cost makes it economically appropriate is outside my realm of experience.

I think you have done well in your due diligence so far.

Many users have mentioned some great opportunity Brisbane suburbs already.

I know this is blisteringly obvious; but just check and double check your floodplain maps for suburbs/streets place the placement/topography of the block that the house is on itself. Even if not located in a direct floodplain suburb, it pays to check the suburb drainage/sewer plans with the local council also.

Congratulations! You are a serious investor, not mucking around, and do act quickly with informed data statistics and suggestions from locals.

Well done young man!

hi all, just getting started with researching brisbane

wondering if someone can help me find the brisbane metropolitan strategic plan or equivalent.

i want to get a feel for where the major employment centres are in suburban brisbane and where the infill areas are going to be :)

closest i could find is the South East Queensland Regional Plan which is a bit too macro.
http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/regional-planning/seq-regional-plan.html

Employment centres in Brisbane suburbs:

-Carindale
-Indooroopilly
-Chermside
-Mount Gravatt

Back