Brisbane Suburbs - Please Help me decide!

On another note how do you buy interstate (appreciate there is a sticky covering this topic), it seems difficult to do without understanding the area well and having the deep local knowledge, not just the figures...

How long do you typically spend doing due diligence and getting to really know an area? The way I look at it I could easily spend another 6 months researching an area and save 5/10k or buy now pay market price but take advantage of the CG I would have otherwise lost out on - not sure if that's a risky outlook. :rolleyes:

I moved to Brissy last October and had been researching for 4 months before flying up, I was shocked at how far behind Sydney it was. It took me 7 months of being up here before making a purchase, DD is hard to do interstate as each purchase really is a street to street proposition up here. In Sydney you could drive from Cronulla to Holsworthy before you notice a real difference in the calibre of resident up here it can 4 street in Wynnum for the same drop in socio economic comparison.[/QUOTE]

As an interstate Buyer , it's hard to have the depth of knowledge of a well informed local , However property investing is forgiving . You can still make money out of crappy properties . when the markets moving every thing goes up . Obviously the better you buy , the more you make .

We've moved on from the lower end of the market at the moment ( might go back ...) .

Like all things , the more you do it , the better you get .

When we started buying interstate , we had check lists which we'd fill in so we could compare properties etc .

Now , we can eliminate most properties just by looking at them on the net and google earth etc .

Then we spend lots of time talking to the agents / PM's about places to a avoid etc .

When we look at properties , WE ALWAYS GO IN THE AGENTS CAR . Makes it easier to look at the area , and another opportuinity to pick their brain.

Last trip , most of the properties we looked at were possible . One we eliminated because we realised the road was a cut through road and a couple because the layouts didn't work that well . Just a matter of seeing which we could negotiate the best deals on.

Spent two days looking at properties in Manly / Wynnum and ended up buying three . One has ended up renting $20 less than what we were expecting , but that's the only hitch so far . My wife had spent the day before looking around sandgate / brighton , but preferred manly / Wynnum . I trust her judgement ......

I'm sure someone locally , who spends all their time looking at property could have bought better , but I don't want to spend all my time looking.

Cliff

I haven't received notifications of these posts over the past 48 hours for some reason so apologies for my tardiness- thank you for all the helpful advice, all of which is taken on board and greatly appreciated! Great to have some sound knowledge and guidance from those who have actually done it before... books only teach you so much.

I have the weekend to sus out brissy so will keep you updated on my progress, still torn between areas, but if we could all predict the future growth of an area the conjecture wouldn't be as much fun! :p

Hi All, quick update...

it's been a hectic two days driving around brisbane. Initial thoughts are that there are quite a few comparisons geographically to Sydney, the north side leafy and green, the south more industrial, with 'beaches' (i was silly thinking there would be sand!) to the east, Chermside in particular reminds me of Chatswood a few years back, big westfield, high rises and gentrification which will no doubt ripple out to neighbouring suburbs.

I was suprisingly impressed with some of the areas i had initially dismissed, Acacia Ridge, Coopers Plains and Runcorn, undervalued IMO given proximity to the city, amenities and neighbouring suburbs $$$ - thoughts?

The viewings i did were OK, of course none look like the pics but i should be used to that by now. I am however interested in two properties. The first is a 3,1,2 in Kedron on Kitchener rd (busy'ish but not too bad), could do with a new bathroom but other than that it would be set and forget for around 420k.

The other is in Keperra which i think has real potential, the area that is, reminds me of the hills district in Sydney, good transport, several shopping complexes and an attractive looking area. It is off the back of Samford rd, but there is no rd noise, newly build in past 3 years, 4,2,1. It is of legal height to build under, the agent even suggested a granny flat, although from my research that doesn't look like an option in QLD, not sure if building it out as a 2nd rumpus/man cave would add enough value, could probably get it around the 400k mark. Thoughts?

Kedron:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kedron-115538519

Keperra:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-keperra-115604407

Thanks

I may be biased as I just photographed this one
but certainly seemed well priced to me for what it was.
Would buy myself if I could.
Little more than you planned to spend but would rent every day of the week
I bet..

http://bit.ly/JtspuH

I am however interested in two properties. The first is a 3,1,2 in Kedron on Kitchener rd (busy'ish but not too bad), could do with a new bathroom but other than that it would be set and forget for around 420k.

I've always thought that Kedron was under rated. It has everything to become a boom suburb in the future ie good schools, closeness to shops & CBD, surrounded by new infrastructure such as busway & tollways. 420K seems a good buy.

I don't know Keppara very well but it's further out from CBD than Kedron.

I'd go Kedron over Keperra. But I wouldn't buy on that road. And the reason for that is that I own a property just down the road from that one on a main road.

They are a hassle to lease (usually $50 less than market rate)

They are a hassle to sell (that property has been up on the market for 2-3 months, whereas all the others are sold within weeks)

Additionally, there is little to no CG and proof is found within the sale prices of this property.

http://www.onthehouse.com.au/reports/property_profile/1243667/169_Kitchener_Road_KEDRON_QLD_4031/

If you think its a good buy and has potential for CGs, buy. But my feeling is that it would only lead to tears, like mine is.

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice, I like Keperra, however I agree that if I can afford it growth closer to the city will happen before it hits Keperra - plus there still seems to be a hint of stigma for locals.

Roachy thanks for your advise, I didn't realise that the road would put buyers/tenants off, I don't want a property that is difficult to sell in future - unnecessary hassle.

I have seen two more this morning of interest (can you tell I'm keen!), thoughts on CG potential for Mitchelton vs Stafford Heights?

I am leaning towards stafford heights as it is slightly cheaper, was also listed as 1 of the top 100 to boom for 2014 in YPI, bordered by two other suburbs of higher median value - keen to hear your thoughts?

Mitchelton - 4,1,2 - nowhere to add value though which is a negative
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mitchelton-115546907

Stafford Heights - 3,1,2 - of legal height to build underneath, repaint outside and re touch cosmetically otherwise set and forget
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-stafford+heights-115533087

P.s happy to shout beers next time I'm up in brissie - hopefully on settlement. :p

Hey Tazy,

My property is in Stafford Heights as well. Its an upcoming area due to the city tunnel infrastructure put in last year.

Mitchelton is probably a better suburb, but I agree there is better potential in the Stafford Heights property to add value and thus borrow on that equity.

That property in Mitchelton is unfortunately further away than what I would call Mitchelton (its still in the suburb, but the real money is close to Enoggera Barracks there). Thus both the houses in your last post a comparative in locality.

Good luck. Keep sending the ideas and hopefully the guys on here can help you make the right choice. I will only talk about locations.

Hi Roachy, agree the property in Mitchelton seemed more like Keppera to me and it was a bit of a downer that there was literally nothing I could find to do with the place that would add value :(

Great to hear you have a property in Stafford Hts, have you seen much CG since you purchased there, easy to rent, good quality tenants? My RE said I could rent the Staf Hts property for 420pw, checking domain that seems a tad high though, would love to know what yours rents at.

Thanks for your advise btw, hopefully one day i will be able to educate fellow newbies with such wise words. :eek:

May look at the Logan stretch after this purchase (my broker PT is going to love me), you considering anything down there - seems pretty hot right now?

Hey Tazy,

I bought in 2008 for $343k, might be able to sell next year for $420k. So not amazing CG.

Rent has been really low due to being on a main road. Rent has been between $330 - 350 p/w. Just painted the outside.....so I might be able to get an extra $20 p/w.

I would definitely do you DD on rents on main roads. Perhaps onthehouse.com.au could help you using the rents button.

I'm not a Logan fan, but I know others are.

that 39 Chuter Stafford heights at 16 mins, 10.7 km to Brisbane CBD would be a great buy if you could get under $440k. big block with potential to build underneath.
If rents stacked up that would be a great buy to sit on for 5+ years.

Hi SMSF Lorde, thanks for the advice... suppose it's too late to tell you that I already secured the property at 457k... I probably could have waited to find another however the market in brissy is getting pretty hot at the moment and I am confident that the market come Jan will pick up further and make finding a bargain even harder. They were asking 475 though, so i got a decent discount :eek:

On the plus side the rental valuation came back at 420 - 460 pw, if i can secure towards the higher end of that I'd be neutrally geared which is better than I expected with a property that close to the cbd.

Ok so it's 5.23%, whats neutral above 6? I don't know the exacts around gearing but compared to other properties and rents in the area it was pretty decent compared to some that are 450 cost and 400pw. I have a good yielding ip in West Syd so i bought this for diversity and CG.

Tell me about it Angel, I pay 600pw here 10ks from the city for a 2 bed unit, I could live in a mansion in Brisbane for that *contemplates moving*.

Rents in Brisbane are much lower than you would expect if you are from Sydney.

Are you saying that I shouldn't expect the same yield as I do for Sydney? I'm really hoping I haven't stuffed up... I think the area shows promise and some simple renovations could add 20k, but for a newbie 450k for my 2nd IP is scary... possible risky :confused:

Not looking right now so no idea. Just trying to make you aware that 5% is far from neutral when factoring in all other holding costs. I guess am trying to make you go into this with all eyes open. Wouldn't want you to get a shock regarding serviceability and holding costs.

Back