Britain has an ethnic problem: the English

I strongly suspect there is an element of this victimhood having a real impact in our own country in cases where schools and students perform badly - be it any nationality/race in areas where there are a significant number of students born to parents at the very bottom of the generational 'social' ladder.

One thing Gillard did that I thought was brilliant was make teen mums (in areas at risk of having poor social outcomes) continue their education as a condition of receiving FTB. It was a small step and sent the right message.

The unfortunate thing there was the backlash, and the mentality that it's perfectly OK to have children for all the wrong reasons and have the taxpayers not only take responsibility for the welfare of those children into the future, but to also carry the financial burden resulting from their birth for years and possibly decades/generations.

The fact that many of these mums were outraged that there were conditions on their FTB, that would improve their lives AND the lives of their children, kind of says it all about the attitude they might have about education.

Welfare is a wonderful thing that has helped the citizens of this country who are in true need of help, but it's also helped create some major social problems, ie. generational poverty, inability to adequately look after basic needs, drug/alcohol dependence and associated crime that stems from social instability, as well as poor educational outcomes.

It's all pretty sad really, but moreso knowing that if we step in, point the problems out and then try to implement a new way to empower people, there'd be demonstrations, riots and huge political fallout.

Far easier to just throw even more money at issues and pretend to fix things, rather than target the root of the problem.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it thriving. A lot of those foreign workera have close to zero rights and are treated terribly. There is also very little integration of many of these groups with locals.

If you are a local then yes you are thriving. They have access to the best real estate and tax advantages and all sorts of perks.

As to the migrants, history shows that you will always have those that suffer and those that do well. Our own history is proof of that.

I wouldn't call it thriving. A lot of those foreign workera have close to zero rights and are treated terribly. There is also very little integration of many of these groups with locals.

If you are an Indian you are treated as a slave.....I wouldn't call that thriving either.

If you are a local then yes you are thriving. They have access to the best real estate and tax advantages and all sorts of perks.

As to the migrants, history shows that you will always have those that suffer and those that do well. Our own history is proof of that.

Yeah... there's working in lower paying jobs such as labouring etc, then there is being essentially slave labour and indentured servitude.

If you think the moral trade off of slave labour in exchange for a few people at the top getting wealthy, that is a sad state of affairs.

Yeah... there's working in lower paying jobs such as labouring etc, then there is being essentially slave labour and indentured servitude.

If you think the moral trade off of slave labour in exchange for a few people at the top getting wealthy, that is a sad state of affairs.

Are you aware that there are people in Sydney being paid $16 an hour on contracts with no superannuation, leave or other benefits. That amount would be a dream to some undertaking their apprenticeships on much less.

These are all acceptable forms of what you defined as "indentured servitude".

For the record, I am not of the belief that there should be different levels of society but unfortunately that is life.

The situation in Australia is very different. Yes, there are low paid workers but it is vastly different to maids, labourers etc in the middle east.

Are you aware that there are people in Sydney being paid $16 an hour on contracts with no superannuation, leave or other benefits. That amount would be a dream to some undertaking their apprenticeships on much less.

These are all acceptable forms of what you defined as "indentured servitude".

For the record, I am not of the belief that there should be different levels of society but unfortunately that is life.

Mmmmm. I'm not sure that you have convinced me that being an apprentice in Sydney is just like having your passport confiscated and being beaten and or sexually abused by your 'employers' for years on end in the UAE.

If you want to copy a UAE practise that has made them fabulously wealthy and developed, then re-nationalise mining and put the billions generated into health, education and infrastructure. Or at least have a decent mining tax.

Mmmmm. I'm not sure that you have convinced me that being an apprentice in Sydney is just like having your passport confiscated and being beaten and or sexually abused by your 'employers' for years on end in the UAE.

If you want to copy a UAE practise that has made them fabulously wealthy and developed, then re-nationalise mining and put the billions generated into health, education and infrastructure. Or at least have a decent mining tax.

Can you provide the proof?

You are stating items that can occur anywhere. Recently a Sydney Madam was jailed for sex slaves. Does that make Australia an appalling country and should you feel ashamed that you did not stop it?

At the end of the day, there will always be winners and losers in an economy with some doing better than others.

What you are referring to are criminal activities not general practise.

Having spent time in UAE I can understand that you would feel uncomfortable if your skin ws brown as many of the lower paid jobs are undertaken by those races.

Being a different colour, I was also uncomfortable with the high level of service office and amount of "assistance" as having lived in Australia for so long at my income level it is not the norm.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Can you provide the proof?

You are stating items that can occur anywhere. Recently a Sydney Madam was jailed for sex slaves. Does that make Australia an appalling country and should you feel ashamed that you did not stop it?

At the end of the day, there will always be winners and losers in an economy with some doing better than others.

What you are referring to are criminal activities not general practise.

Having spent time in UAE I can understand that you would feel uncomfortable if your skin ws brown as many of the lower paid jobs are undertaken by those races.

Being a different colour, I was also uncomfortable with the high level of service office and amount of "assistance" as having lived in Australia for so long at my income level it is not the norm.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Sorry, but you cannot make the link between illegal activities in one country that are investigated and those responsible charged, and state sanctioned near slavery.

The conditions of non-European workers in the ME is pretty appalling. It's a basic statement of fact. If you are happy getting money off the back of near slave labour, then we just have a different moral code.

Australian protester beats deportation by claiming australia is unsafe for his Indian wife and child due to racism, and will remain in Britain

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-10/boat-race-protester-allowed-to-stay-in-britain/5145644

My wife (Mexican mixed race, strongly indigenous) felt more discriminated against (in small ways mostly, but in a huge way with British immigration) in two years in England than in 22 years in Australia.

There have been a lot of race riots in England.

So I think his views of the safety of Australians is based much more on perception than fact. The English are probably happy to go along with such perception.

My wife (Mexican mixed race, strongly indigenous) felt more discriminated against (in small ways mostly, but in a huge way with British immigration) in two years in England than in 22 years in Australia.

There have been a lot of race riots in England.

So I think his views of the safety of Australians is based much more on perception than fact. The English are probably happy to go along with such perception.

Plus, he is a painful trouble maker and serial protestor.

I'm sure he will come over here for a holiday at some stage, despite the dangers he faces.

Sorry, but you cannot make the link between illegal activities in one country that are investigated and those responsible charged, and state sanctioned near slavery.

The conditions of non-European workers in the ME is pretty appalling. It's a basic statement of fact. If you are happy getting money off the back of near slave labour, then we just have a different moral code.

This article is part of a series on the politics and government of the United Arab Emirates Constitution[show]Constitution of 1971 Human rights Federal Supreme Council Federal Supreme Council Current Members Presidential monarchy President Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan Government

Human rights are legally protected by the Constitution of the United Arab Emirates, which confers equality, liberty, rule of law, presumption of innocence in legal procedures, inviolability of the home, freedom of movement, freedom of opinion and speech, freedom of communication, freedom of religion, freedom of council and association, freedom of occupation, freedom to be elected to office and others onto all citizens, within the limit of the law.The UAE is held to be one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East, particularly when compared to its neighbor, Saudi Arabia. The UAE has one of the strongest human rights records in the region, a fact recognised in November 2012 when the UAE was elected to the UN Human Rights Council for a three-year term.

The activities that you mention are illegal in UAE and I do not condone them as they are criminal.

APPLE discovered multiple cases of child labour in its supply chain, including one Chinese company with children were employed as young as 11 at its factories involved in making its products. Yet, Apple is selling thousands of its products every day in every continent.

Foxconn (a Taiwanese company that assembles must-have products such as the iPad and iPhone and parts for other companies) was investigated for its workers worker suicides and lethal explosions at its plants.

Child labour is strongly dominant in India, Bangladesh and many African countries and we as Westerners are using these same products because they are cheap.

Yes it is appalling and yes we should do something.

Back