Broadband & Power Failures

I am in Taringa currently, and we have lost power, which got me to thinking how everyone copes internet connectivity wise, when there is an Energex power failure in your local area.

Most ADSL connection providers seem to offer a dial up backup connection. Though some only offer 4 hours a month, or have other dubious restrictions.

Am wondering how many of you have an adsl modem or router that can be setup to fall back onto the dial up connection. And what you do when the lights go off.

Would also be interested to know whether blackouts, brownouts etc are becoming more common in your area. In my experience, power outages are on the increase, and I think this is being overlooked by the powers that would impose electronic banking upon us.

Obviously, I am writing this from a notebook on battery power. I assume if you have desktops and no backup generator, you don't have an option but to go home or repaint the office. Would appear there is virtually nothing you can do in a modern office without power nowadays- pabx, computers, lights are out...

Sort of off topic, but I'd one day love to design and build my own house that is completely self sufficient. If there's a blackout in the area, I am unaffected. One of my dreams, if you will... :)

As for what I do, I just don't use it. I can live without power for a few hours. If it's in the middle of the day on a weekend, go for a drive. :)

No power issues here in the ACT, though if there was a blackout we could simply plug in a pollie.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Caveat: I work for the 'local' energy (water, telco, PayTV, etc) company, so I'm probably biased...

Merovingian said:
As for what I do, I just don't use it. I can live without power for a few hours. If it's in the middle of the day on a weekend, go for a drive. :)

Mero, agree for most domestic use a fall back position is not such an issue.
However, if you are running a small business, or are watching the stock market with positions that need to be opened or closed, it's a different scenario.

Well, they have wind up radios, wind up laptops, so the next will be the windup DSL modem/wireless router. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Look forward to the day when battery and conversion technology are so efficient that a few days of wind and sun can keep us in computing power for a year. WHoever makes the next big breakthrough in energy storage tech will make trillions.

Can you imagine a mobile phone/pda/notebook that runs continuously for a month on a 1 hour recharge .

And imagine where the Toyota Prius will be in 10 years.

thefirstbruce said:
which might be cheaper than a year of unleaded in 2015

Probably, the Prius isnt the squeaky clean environmental pin-up boy that the manufacturers etc would have us believe though.. at the end of the day I really believe we're utterly stuffed environmentally if we continue to manufacture cars in ever increasing quantities, whatever their fuel source.

duncan_m said:
Probably, the Prius isnt the squeaky clean environmental pin-up boy that the manufacturers etc would have us believe though.. at the end of the day I really believe we're utterly stuffed environmentally if we continue to manufacture cars in ever increasing quantities, whatever their fuel source.

Yes Dunc. Would be good to be able to live a simpler life, without increasing the vulnerability of the country to being overtaken by outsiders not interested in a simpler life. Maybe that simpler life will have more success if on soil of insignificant resources and miles from anywhere---- NZ comes to mind :)

thefirstbruce said:
And imagine where the Toyota Prius will be in 10 years.

On a recently aired Top Gear episode, Jeremy took a Prius for a test drive. He noted you could get better mileage out of a small diesel car roughly the same size. Makes you wonder.

I agree with Duncan that we are basically environmentally stuffed if we don't change our ways drastically.

You only have to look at nature for countless examples of flora and fauna in equilibrium. We on the other hand just consume, consume, consume.

Back