Brown Water coming from Hot Tap

Hi,

We just moved into our house which is very old (1958) and we just noticed that when we turn the hot water on, it comes out a slight brown tinge. The cold water is perfect, it's just the hot water like that.

I've been told that usually this is caused from rust within the Hot Water System, especially if it's old. I did check the HWS and it was infact manufacturered in 1993 so I believe this is quite old right?

Based on the above information, would you guys think the above is right and it's pretty much guaranteed to be the HWS which I need to replace with a new one?

TIA

We just moved into our house which is very old (1958)

*chortle*

Sorry, 1958 isn't old for a house :D

I don't even consider the house I live in to be old - and this was built in the 1920's.

Are you a Gen-Y by any chance? :D :D

(Sorry, I'm just teasing).

1993 for a HWS is quite old ... I've never had one last more than about 10-12 years. It will probably blow up in due course and require replacement.

I'm no plumber - but I've had rusty water coming from HWS before, so I would guess this is what it is.

Does it clear up if you keep the hot tap running for a while, or does it stay the same rusty colour?

I don't even consider the house I live in to be old - and this was built in the 1920's.
Hehe, the three I've had have been 1921, 1876 and 1900 ;)

All with much, much newer HWS's though. The two I have now are circa 2006 and 2003, and my first house had a fairly old gas instant one that worked fine but instants seem to last better, I guess they have less standing water.

You could try for the solar HWS grant, if you're eligible ...

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

The water stays brown from what I can see.

Looks like it's the HWS, gonna look for a good 2nd hand one as it'll eventually be a rental property anyway if I don't sell it by then.

Many thanks.

Definitly the HWS.

If at all possible, try and find a similar model that doesn't require much to fit it up. Australian Standards basically states that if you need to change any existing pipework or relocate a HWS, then a Tempering Valve must be installed if there isn't one already fitted (Tempering Valve basically combines the hot and cold water to provide water at a safe level). Just thought you should know, because if a plumber comes out to fit the system he might be required to a one in.

Back