BSA/ABN/TFN Help please

Was wondering if someone could clear something up for me in simple terms, LOL.

I'm having a bit of an argument with someone about it. This other person told me their husband was a painter (they're coming over from NZ) and that he's thinking of setting up shop here. I told her it's a bit different over here, not as easy, that he will need a BSA if he's going out by himself? I said if her husband didn't get a BSA then he couldn't do painting jobs totalling more than $1200 (or something close to this) Is this correct?

Another friend piped up and said her husband is a Non BSA Painter. She said he only has a TFN and ABN and a blue card, and he earns well over $1200. And then she said and I quote "In QLD what u put in for tax is what you get taxed on, as they dont follow you on your abn, only your tfn"

So I said to her this was my understanding. Her husband was a sub-contractor (he's working for another painter), and you need a BSA if you were working directly with your own clients and invoicing them directly. (Her husband invoices the other painter) Sub-contracting is different, you only need an ABN. You would need a BSA if you were gonna go out on your own.

Then she came back and said you only need a BSA if you're painting roofs!

And:
My hubby doesnt want a bsa in painting, as gets a decent wage without it, he is set up as his own business under an abn, and opts to pay his tax yearly..

Officially he is a painting contractor, not a sub, as he has an abn, its all very much diff than nz, but so much easier. well thats what we find anyway.

So, now I think she's really confused. As a BSA is not a tax number, it's a license. Correct?

Can someone clear this up for me please!

Cheers
QueenBee

Just type BSA in search area and when it comes up and look around and it should tell you who needs a lisence I dare say you will find he will need one.

All trades that work for me must have a lisence no ifs or buts.

In the end if he gets caught doing work over $3300 he will soon find out the cost of not having one.

Brian

Back