Bubble Burst ?

W

WebBoard

What is the view on the US tragedy. I'm just a novice but I imagine this has major ramifications for the property market. Has the bubble just burst in a big way ?

If I was a buyer I wouldn't be buying anything just now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Why not buy?

The US will probably enter recession due to the massive economic and collateral damage.

Interest rates will fall again to prop up the economy. People exit the share market in droves to safe haven assets such as property, gold, swiss franc, etc.

Hiram Ng

Reply: 1.1

Yes I know this a property forum but as a contrarian I would look closely at shares right now, because as tragic as the disaster is - this too will pass.

Reply: 1.1.1

Property???
What like the WTC???
The Japanese economy is still under the effects of Kobe. We will be adding this up in 10 years time.

I lived through a 4.6 tremor in LAX yesterday. I thought wow this could be nasty (economically) this is 10x worse

I think property will go well, but this is extraordinary. The US has NEVER been attacked before.

This is bad.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

During times of uncertainty people tend to put off making decisions, so it is likely that all markets shares and property will stall for a little while.
This may just be the opportunity to get set for the next round of the boom in Australia due to low and maybe even lower interest rates.
After a while there is a flight to the quality and security of blue chip stocks and property.
Those are my thoughts for what they are worth - I also think the world is going to be a different place from know on and we will look back on today a bit like Pearl Harbour. Let's wish the leaders of the major countries the strength and courage they need to guide us through the maze ahead.
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Well I just bought $21K worth of blue chip stocks. The market seemed on sale to me today.

Beats getting full price offers rejected by greedy vendors.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
Oz Film Biz is at
http://www.healey.com.au/~paulz

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

I sold out of some of my holdings in shares this morning. Yes, I had Westfield!
My feeling is that although there are plenty of cheap stocks out there, I'm not going to buy back in at least until after the NYSE reopens. I will be very surprised if it doesn't do a nosedive when it does reopen, and the Australian market is notorious for following suit.
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

luckily i cashed out on Monday morning. i still have small holdings in SRP and a few speccies, mainly biotechs. i am thinking of moving a majority into solid assets such as gold. and i am also about to become a property buyer again. might be a few bargains out there as a result of a few spooked sellers.

Back