Budget Air con? type/Price etc?

got a property whose weekly rental for a 3 bdr in a not so good area whose aircon has been damaged/stolen,

Unforutnately, my knowledge of aircons is as far as the remote control on/off button

Anybody point me the right direction for the cheapes/decent one and what price/spec do I need,

Ill probably get someone to install it for me,

have found this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-3-25...984?pt=AU_AirConditioners&hash=item2574e53f68

or can I do it even cheaper??
is this the right one?
am happy with factory seconds, box damaged, discountinued models etc.

Kelvinator 5.2 kw inverter, $800 for the unit, $700 install

Kelvinator is only nasty,poor performing, Korean LG crap in disguise. Much better and cheaper to buy a better more expensive one in the first place than buy a poor perfomer that never works because your tired of paying almost original price to repair once repairs arent covered by warranty. Then have to buy a decent one anyway.

Check out the guarantee - go for at least 5 years on site.

Any cheapie will work OK for 12-18 months, usually just long enough for the guarantee to run out.
Marg

Kelvinator is only nasty,poor performing, Korean LG crap in disguise. Much better and cheaper to buy a better more expensive one in the first place than buy a poor perfomer that never works because your tired of paying almost original price to repair once repairs arent covered by warranty. Then have to buy a decent one anyway.

Anything at that kind of price point will be chinese made (not korean LG) of varying quality... at least with a known brand you can get parts in the future for the most part as opposed to a yum cha no name brand.

Personally I have had no issues with the kelvinators. YMMV.

thansk everyone

is there a minimum power output for a 100m2 house?

the ones ive been looking at are 2.5 and 3.2 kw

shop people have said I need a stronger one?

edit: the property's rent is $230 pw so quite the cheap end

also, insurance will cover it but my excess is $500, I dont really want to do a claim as my premiums will probably go up (do they go up like car insruance if you make a claim?)

We subscribe to Choice and best large one in most recent test is

LG E22AWN NC11 R22AWN UC11

Scored 82/100 | $1899
82%
Good points:
• Excellent heating efficiency.
• Very good cooling efficiency.
• Very good standby power consumption.
Bad points:
• Airflow at high fan speed is less powerful than most other models on test.
• Lower reliability rating than most other tested brands.

Which we installed in aunt. It works well but even better with ceiling fan to mix the air as this unit has very high ceilings. We paid around $1300 not hte RRP of $1800.

On the smaller one.

Mitsubishi Electric MSZ MUZ GE25VA

Scored 82/100 | $833
82%
Good points:
• Very good cooling efficiency.
• Excellent heating efficiency.
• Good range of airflow.
• Very quiet indoor and outdoor units.
• Excellent brand reliability.
Bad points:
• None to mention.

If you dont want ot subscribe to Choice at only $50 a year then

http://www.productreview.com.au/search.html?search=air+conditioner&sa=

On buying no names it is no go IMO.

AS said, the fitting cost is $800 or so , so one fault and it is dead money.

Case in point: I recently did a depreciation schedule inspection on a house with an AC named after fan brand unit (?). Sold cheap via Bunnings a few years back. I wanted to find the price it cost new. I also found it was a dog and most failed in three months and the Company went under so the extended or any warranty is a waste of paper. Under consumer law of late Bunnings had ot replace but any others said bad luck and you are out $800 x 2 for install x 2.

Lastly, in very cold area like were we are, frost etc...Daikin is the best advised for cold starts.

FYI Peter

thansk everyone

is there a minimum power output for a 100m2 house?

the ones ive been looking at are 2.5 and 3.2 kw

shop people have said I need a stronger one?

edit: the property's rent is $230 pw so quite the cheap end

also, insurance will cover it but my excess is $500, I dont really want to do a claim as my premiums will probably go up (do they go up like car insruance if you make a claim?)

Consider also ceiling fans instead if the market suits and cooling only. Peter

Stick with the new kelvinator inverters if you're on a budget.

They are now very quiet (new models), which was always the problem with the larger Kelvs in the past. Good efficiency too.

They also have the best and widest warranty/service division in the business.

You would be surprised which of the "premium" brands are made in china these days.

Back