Budget Kitchen

Looking to get this modernised on a budget. As this is my first project I don't want to tackle anything out of my league. My plan is too -

Hire someone to -
Remove tiled floor and splashback
Remove and install new stove/cooktop/rangehood (second hand from gumtree/recyclers?)
Remove countertop and install laminate countertop
Remove arches

I would then DIY -
New taps
Paint cupboard doors gloss white
New handles
I'm planning to redo all hallways/common areas with laminate floating floors. so this would replace the awful tiles currently installed.

Or would I be better saving up for a whole new kitchen?

Attachments

• DSC_2286.jpg
    DSC_2286.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_2285.jpg
    DSC_2285.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_2290.jpg
    DSC_2290.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 171
Here's another similar one - even has the tiled bench-top! This client of mine DIY'd (he's a handyman) and bought second hand/end of line products. Total cost was $1607. Excludes flooring. He was, in fact going to remove and replace the entire kitchen until I suggested these changes.
Includes;
- paint cupboards
- new laminate top/sink/tap
- new appliances
- new splash-back

BEFORE
Winthrop_St_kitchen_BEFORE_big.jpg

AFTER
Winthrop_St_kitchen_AFTER_Big.jpg

Can see more pictures of the property here if you're interested... http://hotspaceconsultants.com/sneak-peak/24-winthrop-street

If I was doing it, I would rip out and start again. Especially if I was having to do the floors as well. Trying to work around the old kitchen cabinets would be annoying. Really all you'd be saving would be the base cabinets, a few doors, and maybe the sink. So that might be a saving of $1000? But then you'd have to pay for paint and try and do a half decent job for all the doors.

I would rip out and go to ikea and spend the $2000 on a new kitchen, then get new appiances on sale or on graysonline or near new stainless stell appliances on gumtree.

Here's another similar one - even has the tiled bench-top! This client of mine DIY'd (he's a handyman) and bought second hand/end of line products. Total cost was $1607. Excludes flooring. He was, in fact going to remove and replace the entire kitchen until I suggested these changes.
Includes;
- paint cupboards
- new laminate top/sink/tap
- new appliances
- new splash-back

BEFORE
Winthrop_St_kitchen_BEFORE_big.jpg

AFTER
Winthrop_St_kitchen_AFTER_Big.jpg

Can see more pictures of the property here if you're interested... http://hotspaceconsultants.com/sneak-peak/24-winthrop-street

nice,
what do yo uneed to do to get the cabinets to the white color?

a simple paint with a particular paint?

or is it sand and paint and paint?

nice,

Use laminate paint, specifically designed to stick to cupboard doors etc.

Looking to get this modernised on a budget. As this is my first project I don't want to tackle anything out of my league. My plan is too -

Hire someone to -
Remove and install new stove/cooktop/rangehood (second hand from gumtree/recyclers?)
Remove arches

I would then DIY -
New taps
Paint cupboard doors gloss white
New handles
I'm planning to redo all hallways/common areas with laminate floating floors. so this would replace the awful tiles currently installed.

Or would I be better saving up for a whole new kitchen?

Why hire someone to remove the tiles?

It's a bugger of a job, yes, but anyone can do it, I'd be doing that yourself and getting a plumber to change your taps etc personally.

Go down to bunnings and buy a bolster.

nice,

TMNT, actually these doors were timber - already painted. They were originally painted in a water-based enamel product, but I recommended they repaint in a high gloss oil based enamel since you get a much higher gloss level from an oil based paint.

I haven't asked him what exact process he used, but I suspect it was fairly labourious including;
Sand existing doors etc and clean/wipe down
One coat of primer (required when oil based paint going over acrylic)
Light sand
One coat oil based enamel
light sand
Last coat of oil based enamel

I haven't asked him what exact process he used, but I suspect it was fairly labourious including;
Sand existing doors etc and clean/wipe down
One coat of primer (required when oil based paint going over acrylic)
Light sand
One coat oil based enamel
light sand
Last coat of oil based enamel

Yep - I have gone down this route before too, it is a good affordable path when you don't have the cash but remember you will input some time. Sweat equity has a place, but once you have done it a few times you might decide to just get a kitchen company in. Horses for courses.

You can buy a new benchtop from bunnings say $100 - $200
Handyman to cut and install - upto $350

Whatabout being creative and filling in the gaps on the benchtop and put vinyl laminate on it or something thin that looks good and will last?

The new kitchen looks great - good to do this when the layout is just fine the way it is. Also, the cupboards are timber and will look good for ages. I think the finish makes a real difference.

Hire someone to -
Remove arches
I would DIY this. Demo is my favourite part of the reno! :D

Back