Build before subdivision

Hey All,

If you wanted to build before subdividing am I correct that the valuer will consider the combined values of the two properties and then deduct a percentage (say 20%)?

If so then what other options are available that could allow you to begin construction without subdividing first but not get the reduced valuation?

Hi Albanga

No valuer will not deduct any given percentage but of course will need to provide your lender with comparative sales and having multiple properties on a single title may have a bearing on this.

No reason why you can't start construction immediately as long as you can fund the construction on what could be a reduced lvr.

Cheers

Hi Qlds007,

The 20% I do not think was a hard fast rule but more just an estimation.
In your experience if you had to average out this scenario to a difference in valuation percentage then what do you think it would be?

If you had 2 properties that on individual titles are worth 500k each then you have 1mil value. On a single title however I understand the bank needs to assess the additional risk and also factor in the value of the subdivision (allowing say 50k).

It's about the fact that there are usually not too many comparable sales for properties with 2 dwellings on one title for the valuer to compare against. That is why sometimes these valuations come in way lower than expected. With granny flats in western sydney this is changing as more and more are built.

Extract of notes from a recent valuation report below:

Although thinly traded, the market for dual occupancies in the suburbs of western Sydney has increased steadily over the last 12 months with the majority of interest coming from investors due to the high rental return generated from two separate residences. We advise the construction of detached flats in the rear yards of comparable properties in this location has increased significantly and therefore this market is considered to be slightly volatile as it has experienced different market conditions to those experienced in the greater Blacktown Council area in recent times.

The subject property is situated on a regular shaped inside allotment, providing a south-eastern aspect within the established area of Emerton, opposite Emerton Preschool. Local and regional shopping facilities as well as train services are available within the local neighbourhood of Mount Druitt.

The property comprises a single residential allotment of 564 sqm which is considered to be a average lot size for the subject locality.

The property comprise a dual occupancy development with an proposed extensions of an older 3 bedroom dwelling to the front and 1 bedroom flat to the rear. The main dwelling has a living area of 85 sqm, outdoor areas of 6 sqm, carport area of 17 sqm. The granny flat has a living area of 34 sqm.

VALUATION RATIONALE:
We have considered the highest and best use of the property to be that of a single residential holding and have utilised the direct comparison approach as our primary method. However, our searches revealed limited recent sales of directly comparable properties within the subject locality and therefore we have extended our searches to include sales of comparable dual occupancies and single residential dwelling with varying accommodation in the greater Blacktown Council area, and have made the appropriate adjustments in our analysis. We have then utilised the summation approach as our secondary method, with the added values depreciated accordingly to reflect the current market value. The sales considered in this report were the most relevant as at the time of inspection.

Wow great post, thanks Marty!
I guess that scenario is a bit different though as it refers to a granny flat built to the rear which from my understanding cannot be subdivided? So no matter what that will always remain on the title.

In my scenario I am referring to a complete second dwelling which will be allowed from council no doubt with the intent that it will be subdivided.

I understand a valuer needs to base on comparable and multi dwellings on single titles is not common so it makes it quite difficult.
I tell you right now though if I could buy at 20% under value just because someone had not subdivided I would be all over it. On 1 million value selling for 800k, spend 50k on a subdivision and interest and then sell for a 150k profit (minus agent fees and CGT). Still would be a huge outcome for little work.

I get what you are saying but what if council doesn't allow it to be subdivided? The valuer can't assume this will automatically happen. Same goes for strata titling.

That all said they are human and if they know it will be OK to be subdivided I'm sure you'd get a better valuation than if there was uncertainty about it even after they discount it a bit to cover their arrses

Hey All,

If you wanted to build before subdividing am I correct that the valuer will consider the combined values of the two properties and then deduct a percentage (say 20%)?

If so then what other options are available that could allow you to begin construction without subdividing first but not get the reduced valuation?

Depends on lender and the valuation.

My most recent one was valued as end products, then they listed approximate fees to subdivide and subtracted that from the valuation which was roughly 15%. Then the loan was based on an LVR of the lower values.

Back