Builder Sues - house built on wrong lot

This could get nasty....

In a nutshell the builder built home to lock up (est. $519,000) on the wrong lot. Water Corporation (Perth) made a mistake and connected the wrong lot. I still think the builder is also responsible and should have checked lot numbers.

Could you believe that something like this could happen, I do.

Three years ago I lodged an insurance claim and my insurer's builder completed repairs to the wrong house. When I contacted the insurance company it was only then that it all came to light that repairs were completed on my neighbour's property....WTF:eek:
Minor $ compared to this fiasco

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/24913862/builder-sues-over-house-on-wrong-lot/

That's a considerable stuff up. Bit of a stretch to sue the water corp however.
Wonder if all the soil reports, surveys etc were done for correct block.

DV
That's a very good point, how could it have possibly made it to lock up, quite bizarre.

Am thinking that perhaps it was not for a client but the builders spec home, otherwise surely the owner of the land would have spotted the error from start of build.

To totally blame Water Corp is ridiculous, fault on both sides.

MTR

So the builder should have contacted the Water Corp and said "you dills, you have connected the water to the wrong block"

For all they know the Water Corp may have had work orders to connect the water to 3 properties in that street, if it was a new subdivision that would be quite common.

I knew of a bloke that got free earthworks and concrete slab before the builder realised he was on the wrong lot, he then just designed his house to fit it

I wonder if there was a bank involved paying progress claims. actually that is what would have stopped progress in the example of the concrete slab...1st progress claim

These things happen from time to time. Address mix ups. Police even conduct search warrants on the wrong properties sometimes.

I heard her on the radio last week and she doesn't like the house and wants it gone so she can build her house.

How ungrateful, $500K profit not enough;)

The perfect flip, sell it move on, plenty of other blocks around, this is once in a life time. I think it was somewhere in southern corridor where there is plenty of land available.

Prior to anything, I wonder how they did a boundary repeg and still didn't pick this up...

It happens quite a bit, but normally gets picked up by slab stage if the surveyor marks the parapet etc.

Making it to lockup is just plain embarrassing.

Feel sorry for the people who have now paid progress claims on a house that isn't on their lot. I am sure they will be compensated etc, but imagine getting to lockup and then having to sit and wait for a court trial before starting again.

I have to wonder about land surveyors, I know someone whose surveyor stuffed up with the boundary, minor compared to this story, however they take no responsibility for their stuff ups, written in the agreement/contract.

I think this scenario, wrong block is more than an embarrassment, so many trades/professionals were completely sloppy and obviously did not do things by the book.

I agree with Ausprop this person now wants a free home, of course she does not like it why would she, if she did she may have to pay something for it.

The fact its hit the media is shocking for the builder, I think will destroy reputation. I know I would not be using this builder after reading this.

I have to wonder about land surveyors, I know someone whose surveyor stuffed up with the boundary, minor compared to this story, however they take no responsibility for their stuff ups, written in the agreement/contract.

I think this scenario, wrong block is more than an embarrassment, so many trades/professionals were completely sloppy and obviously did not do things by the book.

I agree with Ausprop this person now wants a free home, of course she does not like it why would she, if she did she may have to pay something for it.

The fact its hit the media is shocking for the builder, I think will destroy reputation. I know I would not be using this builder after reading this.

Some home too, is that $519k in progress claims just to lockup, or $519k total contract price?

I would dare say it can be traced all the way back, there would have been a phone call and a "Are you sure it is this block?"
"Does it have a water meter? Then yeah it is that block" and off they went.

100% builders fault.

I knew of a bloke that got free earthworks and concrete slab before the builder realised he was on the wrong lot, he then just designed his house to fit it

I wonder if there was a bank involved paying progress claims. actually that is what would have stopped progress in the example of the concrete slab...1st progress claim

that would be awesome, however, in my experience, builders refuse to touch anything thats done by some one else, as they would have to warranty it

or did I have a particularly careful builder

Back