Builders/Renovators - Logan

Does anyone know of good builders/renovators in the Brisbane Logan area? Looking to convert the downstairs of a highset. We are looking at:

- Plumbing for laundry
- Electrical wiring
- Tiling
- Adding a kitchen
- Converting the garage doors to sliders
- Gyprocking
- Painting

Does anyone know of good builders/renovators in the Brisbane Logan area? Looking to convert the downstairs of a highset. We are looking at:

- Plumbing for laundry
- Electrical wiring
- Tiling
- Adding a kitchen
- Gyprocking
- Painting

Does anyone know if you require council approval to do this?
What can be done in downstairs of a Queenslander, assuming you have legal height in place?
Can you put a kitchen and bedrooms?
Do you have to put insulation on side walls?
Dual living and occupancy is legal, hence I would you don't need firerating the 2 floors, because the assumption is the both floors will be tenant under 1 agreement.
Can you allow split meter for the 2 floors?

Does anyone know if you require council approval to do this?
What can be done in downstairs of a Queenslander, assuming you have legal height in place?
Can you put a kitchen and bedrooms?
Do you have to put insulation on side walls?
Dual living and occupancy is legal, hence I would you don't need firerating the 2 floors, because the assumption is the both floors will be tenant under 1 agreement.
Can you allow split meter for the 2 floors?

One of my properties in Logan is 'built under' with new kitchen, new bathroom (approved), bedrooms and split electricity meter. I know the owners got approval to build the second bathroom from Council as it is in the searches that approval for plumbing and final approval inspection for second bathroom was obtained.

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to ask Council if you need permission to add kitchen, bedrooms, split meter. Fire-rating 2 floors, I've never heard of this requirement.

To be legal height it has to be 2.4m (or 2.6m) i cant remember the exact height but the majority of properties in 4114 are not legal height

You can rent them out as dual living but council is cracking down on it as its technically illegal to have dual living on non legal height properties

Best way to tell is if you stand under and if you feel its even slightly lower then what you consider normal then its too low

You can rent them out via agencies however agencies wont collect two lots of rent, they will collect only one lot so either you have to colllect it or get one of them to collect the other lot

Last edited:
For most highset homes, if you look up to the ceiling from the ground floor, you'll see the wooden support beams. There was another SS post, a Building inspector advised the buyer that 2.4m is measured from ground to the floorboard of upper level, NOT to first point of the support wooden beams.

the 2.4m requirement is for bedroom/habitat rooms. I believe for lounge, bathroom, laundry it is not a requirement.

For most highset homes, if you look up to the ceiling from the ground floor, you'll see the wooden support beams. There was another SS post, a Building inspector advised the buyer that 2.4m is measured from ground to the floorboard of upper level, NOT to first point of the support wooden beams.

the 2.4m requirement is for bedroom/habitat rooms. I believe for lounge, bathroom, laundry it is not a requirement.

I believe the ceiling height is measured from the floor to the bottom of the joists that the the floorboards are attached . Beams supporting the house are not included.

There is other requirements you need to meet besides the ceiling height. I believe the slab needs to be raised off the ground ( ie floor cant be level with the outside) and any walls need to be insulated. Typically a garage slab will be level with the ground outside and the walls not adjoining the living areas of a house wont be insulated.

I asked a building inspector about these issues with the last house I bought and this was the information he gave me about my thoughts of a garage conversion.

- Plumbing for laundry
- Electrical wiring
- Tiling
- Adding a kitchen
- Gyprocking
- Painting

Hi

Did you ever get a quote to do this? Ball park figure?

Back