Building a Duplex on Sydney West

Hi guys

This is my first post, so any mistakes please be gentle :). I own a 840 sqm property in Sydney West coming under Holroyd Council. I had a chat with Council about going forward in building a duplex and the Town planner said that there will be no issues in building a duplex and selling them separately. But, she said two main things

1. The house slopes towards the property, so I need to work on Easement with my neighbours on back or work out a solution
2. One half of my property is in flood zone so the Architect needed to work together with Council to put together the solution for flood evacuation plan etc..

Do you guys see the options for me, like raising the land, but I am not sure whether that would shoot up the development cost.. Any pointers, please ..

You can still build on the flood zone, you give have to build the house on the piers.

It can be achieve easily, just work with council, architect and builder. it's not a big issue.

Regarding to the cost, do you mind if I ask how the number looks like? what's the buy price, build cost and estimated resale price ?

Thanks Scha9799... build house on the piers, does that shoot up the Development cost, and should I need a install a tank for solving the Storm Water Easement problem / raise the land .. any clues ?

buy price is mid 400, haven't estimated the building cost yet, but the sale is high 600's here for a brand new duplex..

Our property was about 550k and duplex was going for about 650k near our house. I did the workings and it didn't show any profit to me. I think the only person who makes profit is the builder. I ended up building a granny flat as short term solution - 20 years :)
I have upload a fairly detailed excel file comparing each scenario and business as usual.

Hi guys

This is my first post, so any mistakes please be gentle :). I own a 840 sqm property in Sydney West coming under Holroyd Council. I had a chat with Council about going forward in building a duplex and the Town planner said that there will be no issues in building a duplex and selling them separately. But, she said two main things

1. The house slopes towards the property, so I need to work on Easement with my neighbours on back or work out a solution
2. One half of my property is in flood zone so the Architect needed to work together with Council to put together the solution for flood evacuation plan etc..

Do you guys see the options for me, like raising the land, but I am not sure whether that would shoot up the development cost.. Any pointers, please ..

Hi there,

Dont take no for an answer from council and re work/assess your number before applying for DA.
I have just had DA approved in same council and didn't had to get an easment. Your property being on flood zone, you will need to have champion architect and stromwater engineer to get it across the line.

Feel free to PM me for more info!

Hi guys

We have done a Duplex with Holroyd Council, don't just go with what the planners say, unless you can get something in writing, you can get away with the easement issues, we did & put a pump out system to the front kerb, it is a fight to get this, but the cost savings can be significant.

Hi there,

Dont take no for an answer from council and re work/assess your number before applying for DA.
I have just had DA approved in same council and didn't had to get an easment. Your property being on flood zone, you will need to have champion architect and stromwater engineer to get it across the line.

Feel free to PM me for more info!
well said, we had to fight long & hard to get a pump out OSD approved...happy to help out

are there currently any dev sites in Sydney (west?) that you can still make money on...?

such as small site that you could build duplex, battle axe, keep house and build at the back etc?

Most Councils require that you officially 'seek' an easement from the neighbour to the rear first. It must be a genuine attempt! At least that's what they say.

Case Study:
My client was building townhouses and needed to officially request an easement from his neighbour. He visited the neighbour at the rear and after a few scotch and cokes, they came to a favourable solution. Official letters were sent offering more and more money to the neighbour, but unfortunately, he just wouldn't convince the neighbout to accept his offers! :cool:

Council then had to allow my client an on-site detention system.

FYI Holroyd Council NEVER allow pump-out systems. It's in their stormewater policy. The second option (after seeking an easement) is a charged system to the street. If this isn't posssible due to excessive negative flows (700mm from street kerb to FFL), they'll allow on-site detention - OSD.

FLOOD MITIGATION:
Depends on whether it's 'overland flow' and the risk level (low-med-high). You only need to build on piers if it's an overland flowpath or a 'floodwater storage area'. If it's 'high-risk' flooding, be prepared for a very long and expensive road to approval.

Brazen.

Back