Building A Few Units in Melbourne

Until recently my development experience has been limited to SE Qld where the rules for developing are pretty well laid out and as long as you tick all of the boxes or show how your ticks fit inside the boxes then you are good to go. I'm looking at preparing a feaso on a small development in Melbourne (two or three units behind and existing house) and can remember a reply to one of my posts along the lines of 'It's not like that in Melbourne' and 'The allowable density is about how good your designer/architect is'.

I'm my designer and I've been reading through the Melbourne Planning Scheme for a few hours - specifically Clauses 32 and 55 - and I've been Googling and searching the forums for info but now I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Can someone either let me know where I should be looking (posts / threads/ websites / documents) or give me the lowdown and how I can figure out the density requirements for a given block or zone?

I have a feeling that I may approaching this wrong, which is from an SE Qld point of view, so any advice will be great.

Contact the individual local Council responsible for the land/property you are looking at. They can guide you through the town planning nuances of the area.

Some Councils (such as Glen Eira) have more conservative density, site coverage and set-back requirements than others.

Until recently my development experience has been limited to SE Qld where the rules for developing are pretty well laid out and as long as you tick all of the boxes or show how your ticks fit inside the boxes then you are good to go. I'm looking at preparing a feaso on a small development in Melbourne (two or three units behind and existing house) and can remember a reply to one of my posts along the lines of 'It's not like that in Melbourne' and 'The allowable density is about how good your designer/architect is'.

I'm my designer and I've been reading through the Melbourne Planning Scheme for a few hours - specifically Clauses 32 and 55 - and I've been Googling and searching the forums for info but now I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Can someone either let me know where I should be looking (posts / threads/ websites / documents) or give me the lowdown and how I can figure out the density requirements for a given block or zone?

I have a feeling that I may approaching this wrong, which is from an SE Qld point of view, so any advice will be great.

Contact oc1 aka Oscar he's the man you want to talk to.

Back