Building a new 2 storey house at Gold Coast

Hi, I am really new to development and would like to hear from the experienced developers like you. :) Thank you in advance.

My situation is I've bought a block of land (1000+ sqm) at Gold Coast (10km away from the Surfer's Paradise CBD). The land is already settled and I've had the land surveyed. I want to build a new 2 storey house and then sell it.

I am now looking for a local architect and a local builder to complete this project. I have the following questions:

1). How do I select an architect? What things I need to focus on / watch out for when meeting with my short listed architects?
2). Same question for selecting a builder

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I am really new to development and would like to hear from the experienced developers like you. :) Thank you in advance.

My situation is I've bought a block of land (1000+ sqm) at Gold Coast (10km away from the Surfer's Paradise CBD). The land is already settled and I've had the land surveyed. I want to build a new 2 storey house and then sell it.

I am now looking for a local architect and a local builder to complete this project. I have the following questions:

1). How do I select an architect? What things I need to focus on / watch out for when meeting with my short listed architects?
2). Same question for selecting a builder

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Others might be able to suggest an architect and builder, however is the location (suburb and street) worthy of a custom build or might a Metricon or similar bulk builder do the job for your purposes?

Being 10 km from Surfers could mean anywhere up or down the coast (on or near waterfront) or it might be 10 km inland. Do your figures indicate that a custom build provides enough profit in your feasibility allowing for contingency?

Others might be able to suggest an architect and builder, however is the location (suburb and street) worthy of a custom build or might a Metricon or similar bulk builder do the job for your purposes?

Being 10 km from Surfers could mean anywhere up or down the coast (on or near waterfront) or it might be 10 km inland. Do your figures indicate that a custom build provides enough profit in your feasibility allowing for contingency?

Thanks for your reply. It's located at Clear Island Waters. The land is approx $900k, water front. I think the house will need custom designed and built. I need to shortlist a few architects. Anyone knows how to select a good architect? Thanks.

Architects vary in terms of what they do, how deep they think your pockets are and their level of self-importance. They will charge accordingly.

With a $900k block, you are probably sitting on the realms of a high end project builder, architect designed build or upmarket builder.

How much are you looking to spend on the build? Have you discussed the outcome with local real estate agents to determine what the market wants? What the end market value will be ie is it top end or aspirational?

Go to the project home display villages - there will be a mix of builders to view their products. Check out the Master Builders & HIA annual builders awards to see the product created by high end builders and check out some of the better products from some of the smaller project home builders (who do custom designed work).

Back