building and pest inspections for relatively new homes

Hi.

Wondering what the rule of thumb if any for building and pest inspections. Generally if a property is approx 5 years old. Would you still get them done?

Thanks

There is no rule of thumb. I know of a property that suffered a severe termite attack within 12 months of being built. The termite spray applied before the slab was laid was defective.

Personally - I'd still get both done for the peace of mind. It's a relatively small outlay for such a large purchase.

Cheers

Jamie

There is no rule of thumb. I know of a property that suffered a severe termite attack within 12 months of being built. The termite spray applied before the slab was laid was defective.

That is fast prop!

I lived in (rented) a project home that was 7 yrs old and had a major attack that was being fixed as we moved in. About 30-40k worth of damage i reckon.

Based on all the responses, just pest report would do? Not building report?

Golly. How much is the house worth? Do you know how much a building report costs?
Hint: ALWAYS GET A PEST AND BUILDING INSPECTION DONE!?!
Sorry for yelling ;)

Last edited:
Golly. How much is the house worth? Do you know how much a building report costs?
Hint: ALWAYS GET A PEST AND BUILDING INSPECTION DONE!?!
Sorry for yelling ;)

I know I spent about $600 - $700 for my 3Br report, but I never thought a spanking new property requires the reports too..:(

I would always get one done not matter the age of the property... Unless I was knocking down the house then clearing I don't need the inspection except for asbestos.

Back