building and pest report came back

Ok so the report came back and their is a bit of mould (in kitchen and bedroom) and active termite damage to the boundary fence (1.5-2m from house)

do i now get quotes and try and negotiate the price down more?

or is that my solicitors job? (the inspector said give the report to the solicitor and they will do the negotiating) and my solicitor said the same thing.

the RE agent is trying to get in contact with me to ask me how it went. but when i called my solicitor first they said it's better for them to handle it.

(Also the slab is un-even, it is carpeted where it drops down and the inspected did say that you have a 50% chance of there being cracks)

experiences anyone?

Last edited:
Did you inspect the property yourself prior to your offer?

These are not hidden issues in my opinion, but nothing to stop you trying to get a reduction.
Just not sure it is significant, except if the mould is the result of deeper ongoing issues.

Did you inspect the property yourself prior to your offer?

These are not hidden issues in my opinion, but nothing to stop you trying to get a reduction.
Just not sure it is significant, except if the mould is the result of deeper ongoing issues.

well the mould i didn't know if it was dirt or mould,

and the fence i didn't go up to it and actually inspect it, are buyers supposed to be checking fences for termites?

Well, it's really your job as the investor/purchaser to do all the negotiating...

What if your solicitor accepts a price you're not happy with?

Well, it's really your job as the investor/purchaser to do all the negotiating...

What if your solicitor accepts a price you're not happy with?

well the inspector said tell the solicitor which price your happy with and they'll do the negotiating, whats the norm?

The norm is as DavidMc says.....accept, reject or negotiate it your self.

Let us know what you decide.

There is no text book answer....... this stuff you learn from experience.

Mold in house, thats typical and due to poor ventilation.

Termites in fence, well thats good cos they arent in the house!

I would get the owner to pay for treatment of termites in fence and implementation of a termite barrier/baiting system (circa 3K) or get $3k off the price to accomodate same.

i was kind of hoping i could ask for a new colorbond fence, but i guess like ace said it's not exactly a hidden issue as i should have saw it when i inspected the place. i knew the fence was a bit damaged but i didn't think it was that bad (wood rot and termites)

i was kind of hoping i could ask for a new colorbond fence,

Really??? :eek::eek::eek:

I'd say you have two chances of that... Buckley's and none.

If I was the vendor, I'd be telling you where to get off (assuming I wasn't absolutely desperate to sell).

Those things are small problems. You knew about the issues when you put in your offer, didn't you?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding blunt, but as a vendor, I've had this type of last minute stand over tactic pulled on me, and it leaves a bad taste. It would be different if the building inspection found something you had no clue about, but that doesn't sound the case here.

I'm 100% with wylie. To me, the building inspection is something you use to decide whether to proceed or not. If you choose not to proceed, the vendor may be willing to accept a lower price in order to keep the sale alive, but the building and pest inspection is not supposed to be a tool for negotiating a lower price, or something to use to renegotiate the contract you've already signed. Purchasers who do this are acting in bad faith.

Tell them you're happy to proceed or that you're withdrawing because of issues with the B&P.

If they then come back and offer a lower price because of B&P issues, all well and good.

If they don't, you're free to find another property to buy.

If you're annoyed when they don't come back with a lower price, and you'd rather have gone ahead at the agreed price, then the issues in the B&P weren't really that significant, were they?

Really??? :eek::eek::eek:

I'd say you have two chances of that... Buckley's and none.

If I was the vendor, I'd be telling you where to get off (assuming I wasn't absolutely desperate to sell).

Those things are small problems. You knew about the issues when you put in your offer, didn't you?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding blunt, but as a vendor, I've had this type of last minute stand over tactic pulled on me, and it leaves a bad taste. It would be different if the building inspection found something you had no clue about, but that doesn't sound the case here.

I said colorbond just because of there being termites,

i appreciate your opinion. i'll most likely just try and see if i can get him to do a termite barrier around the house. because atm there are active termites. 1.5-3m from the house. thats reasonable right?

These are minor issues.

Nothing structural and no pests in the house, no worries.

You could ask them to clean the mould prior to settlement, but the fence would probably cost too much for the vendor to want to do anything.

I said colorbond just because of there being termites,

i appreciate your opinion. i'll most likely just try and see if i can get him to do a termite barrier around the house. because atm there are active termites. 1.5-3m from the house. thats reasonable right?

I don't think it is reasonable to ask them to do a termite barrier. We had a buyer try to pull this on my parents when they found termites in a tree in the yard. They wanted $5K off the price, our pestman said he could do it for about $2K, but my mother stood her ground and said "like it or leave it" and they realised their fancy tacit was not going to work. We did have a sleepless weekend though.

If you want to protect a house that has NOT got active termites and prefer a barrier over an annual check, then that is up to you and your cost. If you want a new fence, that is your cost.

what do you guys think of the uneven / sloping slab issue?

Depending on the age of the property and a few other factors it could work out a very costly mess,only my opinion but be very carefull with something like this unless you have a visible objective like level the property and split the block ect..imho..

what do you guys think of the uneven / sloping slab issue?

Like willair says, this is the thing that would be a concern to me. I would have a builder look at it and if it is a money pit, walk away.

The rest is easily fixed (likely).

There will be signs of termites in many properties in Brisbane, so getting them treated and getting a new fence are easy to deal with. If I saw a fence in poor condition, I would automatically think about what it will cost to rebuild before starting to negotiate the offer.

I'm considering buying a renovator atm and before we even get inside I am already assuming there is termite damage just by the general look of the place.

Back