We are looking to buy an IP containing 3 units in southcoast area in one title. The offer has been accepted. The additional 2 units have been attached to the original house. The agent has sent us the council approval regarding the extension of the property to have 3 units. The approval was done in 1980s. Our solicitor suggests that we need either to (a) obtain an updated Building Certificate from the Council which will take 10 days or (b) proceed without this document.

I would prefer to have an updated Building Certificate from the Council to minimise any risk. What is the chance that council will reject this approval?

Can I go ahead without this updated document?

What should we do for the exchange of contract?
(a) wait until we obtain an updated Building Certificate from the Council or
(b) exchange the contract with the condition of successfully obtaining this certificate

Should I tell the agent regarding this as the exchange of the contract will be delayed?

Many thanks for your helps.
 
What should we do for the exchange of contract?
(b) exchange the contract with the condition of successfully obtaining this certificate.
Yes, this one.

OR, exchange with a 10 day cooling off period (in lieu of the standard 5 days) and get the certificate in that time.
 
Top