Building Brokers

hey all!

I read in API about one investor using a building broker......

Anyone use one?
What do they charge?
Good or bad experience?

Ta!

hi
not heard of a building broker
is that a broker that sells buildings.
or a broker that does building finance
or a broker that builds investments

hi
not heard of a building broker
is that a broker that sells buildings.
or a broker that does building finance
or a broker that builds investments

What accumulator is refering to is a broker just like a mortgage broker.

Geoff Doidge from the Reno Kings is interviewd on his first solo development (just recently I might add) It is a good read, and in relation to the broker, he says:

"The broker found me a builder, one that shaved off $200,000 off my previous quotes: problems solved" When Geoff is talking about the broker, he says "As he explained at the time, You tell me what you want to pay for and I'll find you a builder"

Extract from API.

Cheers,

F

a building broker finds a builder for the best price for your job.

much like a mortgage broker finds the best mortgage.

seeing as you're in Vic, me posting here is moot.

Yes, that is the API article I read that put me onto the idea.
Basically he told the broker what he wanted to build and how much he would pay, then the broker went to a bunch of builders to find one that would do it on time and to budget.

I am currently about to build in Bunbury, WA.

So send me a link ;)

Well it seems I was my own building broker... lol
Viewed all offerings from about 10 builders that suited my block.
Made a list of upgrades and inclusions I wanted, submitted to 4 builders.
Got a range of quotes.
Tried to play them off a bit between themselves....

Will let you all know how i go.

What accumulator is refering to is a broker just like a mortgage broker.

Geoff Doidge from the Reno Kings is interviewd on his first solo development (just recently I might add) It is a good read, and in relation to the broker, he says:

"The broker found me a builder, one that shaved off $200,000 off my previous quotes: problems solved" When Geoff is talking about the broker, he says "As he explained at the time, You tell me what you want to pay for and I'll find you a builder"

Extract from API.

Cheers,

F

depending on the scale of the project..if you looking at 20,000 renovation compared to 2 million - the advantages of a building broker is there.

I shopped and shopped.
And shopped.

I think it may actually depend more on the sales person you get than the builder itself, but I finally found a builder who made a deal.

I ended up with about 30m2 more house and slightly more inclusions.
So all in all I am pretty happy with the process though it was time consuming.

I think a key I found in this process is to look at all blocks on market as resale or onsale, (looking for a discount to market price) but don't buy yet, find a house on sale in Home or similar magazine that fits the block, then do the deal on the land and seal up a deal on the house. Make sure you talk to a sales person first to make sure all inclusions you need are in. (Think lighting, carpet, tiles, paving, remote garage doors, etc as they are not always included in price)

If your going to build in Bunbury let me know and I'll pass on his details.

Back