Building construction inspection at milestones on home build

So my builder has just issued the 'slab down' milestone invoice on my IP build and I'm wondering if I should get a building inspector to sign off on their work before I pay it/before they proceed?

Is this something people recommend having done?

The build is a double brick 4x2 in Perth.

Thanks guys!

Hi urbanist. I have just received my third progress payment request as my build is a little in front of yours. I have engaged a building inspector from the start to check each stage of the build but I don't think you'll be able to withhold the requested payment even if the inspection brings up anything that needs rectifying.

My builder took notes of any issues identified but payment had to be made regardless.

Which brings me to a question of my own - at what point is the builder required to rectify the issues? The latest check I had was for the roof cover and it would probably be a lot easier for the builder to fix things while they still have good access and not wait till the end of the build.

It all needs to go/be in your contract.

If you engage an inspector you need to get permission from the Builder for them to go onsite and inspect, report and also have something in your contract that says defects are to be rectified xxx working days after or as agreed by both parties.

I would put it all in the contract, something like

Person XX has been engaged to go onsite at stages A, C and F to inspect and report on workmanship and BCA compliance. Reports of items requiring rectification will be given to the builder within 7 days of the inspection and items are to be rectified by the builder within 28 working days or as agreed by both parties. For inspections after lockup Person XX will liase with site supervisor to gain access to the site.

Is it a common practise to engage a building inspector throughout the construction stages and how much does this generally cost in Perth?

I usually get the inspection at handover

It all needs to go/be in your contract.

Ahh. Lesson for next time. For now looks like I'll just have to be a little bit of a pain and hope they'll fix the issues (luckily they're not major).

Is it a common practise to engage a building inspector throughout the construction stages and how much does this generally cost in Perth?

I don't know if it's common practice but since I'm not a builder and no longer based in Perth anyway, I thought it would be safer to get the inspections done just for SANF. They cost around $350-400 each time, with the final one being more expensive at around $600. Total cost of all 5 inspections is around $2000. My build is in Mandurah by the way. From memory Archicentre quoted me around $2500, plus they were going to charge extra per km to travel to Mandurah so I went with someone local instead.

Also so far my bank has not requested any sign offs to advance the progress payment. I issue the instruction via a signed form but they haven't asked for any "proof" as such, unless they decide to send someone to the building site themselves, but it hasn't happened yet.

According to my project manager (and I use the term VERY loosely):

The independent building inspectors they liaise with have two packages:

The first package includes inspections at every drawdown stage of construction. The prices per building are:

Slab Inspection
$330.00

Plate Height
$350.00

Roof
$350.00

Lockup
$350.00

Practical Completion
$695.00

The second package includes inspections of the slab, the frame (walls up and roof on) and Practical Completion. The prices per building are:

Slab Inspection
$299.00

Frame Inspection
$299.00

Practical Completion
$299.00

----

No idea why the less frequent inspections would be cheaper per inspection (more to inspect, surely?), or why the price of the Practical Completion inspection would vary so much within the same complain. Clearly I am missing something. I might place a call on Monday.

Perthurbanist, I would take the former rather than fewer inspections. Final inspection should be more thorough as this is both internal and external.

Also you should be able to use an inspector of your choice, not just ones your builder *liases* with. But price wise the first package looks very similar to mine.

Also you should be able to use an inspector of your choice, not just ones your builder *liases* with. But price wise the first package looks very similar to mine.

Quite right. To clarify, it isn't the builder that recommended the above, but a project manager who was overseeing the subdivision/construction process. For other reasons though, I am still inclined to NOT go with their inspector of choice, so yep I'll be looking elsewhere. I might give Archicentre a call.

Anyone recommend any other building inspectors in Perth?

Also I'm sensing that the consensus then is to pay fo the security of getting an inspection done? Is there anyone who doesn't recomend getting one?

I'm using TBI, for some reason I thought they were local to Mandurah but looking them up again it turns out they're in Osborne Park. Must be because they don't charge extra for coming out to Mandurah, unlike Archicentre.

Anyway, they've been good so far but I don't really have much to measure them against. They're prompt with the inspections and reports, pm me and I can send you a copy of a report so you can have a look if you like.

Excuse my construction ignorance, but why do you say that Tools? Is the determining factor more about the site prep/levels pre-pour than the post pour product?

It is important for the building inspector to check that the footings/slab have been formed & reinforced according to the design - you can't add strength later. If the slab has been incorrectly laid out with step-downs in the wrong place or insufficient hobs etc you can't just shave a bit off and add to the other side.

Excuse my construction ignorance, but why do you say that Tools? Is the determining factor more about the site prep/levels pre-pour than the post pour product?

Once the concrete is poured it is, well....set in concrete. The builder will have a building rejector or engineer inspect the slab when the beams are dug and again when the reo is finished. What they don't check though is for instance the size of the slab, setdown locations, levels etc.

If you are going to the expense of paying for inspections then it should be proactive rather than reactive when any issues may be difficult and costly to fix. And you can still see the finished slab at the next inspection anyway.

Tools

Back