Building Contract - Benchtops and Roof

Somersofters,

Will enter into a building contract within the next week for a Duplex. The standard inclusions are Laminex bench tops to Kitchen, Bathroom and Ensuite; and a tiled roof.

I have asked the builder to quote on upgrading the benchtops to Caesarstone and the roof to Colourbond.

The bench tops came to a total of $4,000.
The Colourbond roof came to a total of $4,500.

Do you think its worth an additional $8,500 for these inclusions?

Thanks in advance.

Where is this?

Where Im from, a tiled roof is an upgrade from Colourbond, not this way around.

pinkboy

Your kidding right?

Tiles - Colourbond - Slate in that order.

People are getting bang from their buck in your area if your getting colourbond houses cheaper than tiled roofs, it's significantly more expensive.

As far as the OP. It depends on the cladding. Weatherboards and Rendered houses are 1000% better looking with colourbond roofs.

You will get your money back on the kitchen too, nothing screams like a cheap kitchen than a laminex benchtop if your looking for capital gain.

I've never built any of my PPOR's with tiled roofs, but that's just personal preference.

In Melbourne, 80% of top end homes are colourbond.

Where is this?

Where Im from, a tiled roof is an upgrade from Colourbond, not this way around.

pinkboy

Agree, I've been speaking with builders in two different areas (Vic and Qld) and colourbond should definitely cost less, especially when you consider how much quicker it is to install.

Agree, I've been speaking with builders in two different areas (Vic and Qld) and colourbond should definitely cost less, especially when you consider how much quicker it is to install.

I'm a builder in Melbourne, I can categorically tell you tiles are cheaper than colourbond.

And are quicker to install, a roof is batterned and tiled in roughly a day to 2 days, colourbond is more like 3-4 when you include flashings.

You notice any bumps in the roof with tiles as well, especially if you are re-roofing older homes, colourbond is a much better option in terms of hiding defects.

Walk into a cheap housing estate anywhere in the major cities, the fact they are all tiled roofs should tell you something...............

Its about right for the roof - as long as it includes reflective insulated blanket sacking - I would push for that. If its paper sacking it should only be 1-2k more.

The bench is a little exxy, true cost might be 2k over unless its a really big bench but unless they are happy to pull it out of the contract with a full discount and let you source your own there isn't much you can do. Its possible but remember you then aren't covered under builders warranty for that job, and you might find flow on problems like if there are issues with the splash back or sink installation, they relate to the bench etc.

Back