Building Costs - Melbourne

I couldn't find the threads where Melbourne building costs are being discussed. Anwyay, I came across something being built in my area:

http://www.realestate.com.au/proper...roject-profile-ppp-600007179-to-pdp-119276179

At a building size of 174 sqm and a building cost of $1,920/sqm (BMT Construction Cost Table), the build cost would be $334,080. Not bad if you could get the land cheap ;) ... or is that way off?

I know the LMI Group Building Cost Calculator puts the price of a 174 sqm medium townhouse at $349,740 - $422,820, so the $334k might be a bit under.

It will vary per builder, specification, whether it is double storey,/single, I would work on $1300 per sqm but it is dependent on area /suburb as to what is required to max profits. Phone larger builders, phone agents in the area they are a wealth of information, they will tell you who builds in the area and to a degree will know the goss, the good and bad. It's a starting point, the more you know the better choices you will make.

Mtr

I just got a quote from a major project builder full turn key.17 sq 156 sqm home with 3x2x2 .with Split A/C, glass splash backs, down lights (not LEDs), 900m stove top, stone benchtop, raised ceilings, laundry basin cabinet, landscaping to front & rear, coloredbrick letter box, concrete driveway, and fancy facade, Opticom Data and Phone package....

The cost was 182k or about 1170 sqm.

It will vary per builder, specification, whether it is double storey,/single, I would work on $1300 per sqm but it is dependent on area /suburb as to what is required to max profits. Phone larger builders, phone agents in the area they are a wealth of information, they will tell you who builds in the area and to a degree will know the goss, the good and bad. It's a starting point, the more you know the better choices you will make.

Mtr

I just got a quote from a major project builder full turn key.17 sq 156 sqm home with 3x2x2 .with Split A/C, glass splash backs, down lights (not LEDs), 900m stove top, stone benchtop, raised ceilings, laundry basin cabinet, landscaping to front & rear, coloredbrick letter box, concrete driveway, and fancy facade, Opticom Data and Phone package....

The cost was 182k or about 1170 sqm.

I assume its a single story?

Cheers. Yep. Already onto the agents to find out what is selling, what is not, what is needed and what is not selling. I didn't think to ask about builders though, so good pickup there.

I am looking at two storey and a higher quality spec to max the price and return. Lots of cheap stuff being built which obviously has a lower end value. I'm working with some agents to get the specs right and also have some preliminary cost data coming in but always like to double check things out. I'm sure you know how it is ;)

Cheers. Yep. Already onto the agents to find out what is selling, what is not, what is needed and what is not selling. I didn't think to ask about builders though, so good pickup there.

I am looking at two storey and a higher quality spec to max the price and return. Lots of cheap stuff being built which obviously has a lower end value. I'm working with some agents to get the specs right and also have some preliminary cost data coming in but always like to double check things out. I'm sure you know how it is ;)

I would be aiming at building the same quality as townhouses in Rosanna. North of $1600 per square metre minimum , plus site costs, contributions etc etc.

Ive seen builders a bit desperate for work go as low as $950 per sqm, but under certain designs, quality etc

however normally, they range from 1300-1500 on first communications though

depends on number of units,

ive found that price is always lower as the number is higher, however I havent been past 15

I would be aiming at building the same quality as townhouses in Rosanna. North of $1600 per square metre minimum , plus site costs, contributions etc etc.
Thanks oc1. That is good thinking. I have been comparing what is for sale in the area. I had not thought of competing with Rosanna.

I was working on $1,700 per square metre including site costs and servicing but I was worried it was on the low side for the product I want to build. Just working through the numbers at this stage so I might bump that up a bit for the feaso. Cheers.

I haven't seen many builder's "desperate for work" for the last few years. Houses are always cheaper then units and townhouses. I'd go with OC1's price range.

If $950 refers to large project builder's building their own designs, yes. But no way are they going to build development sites at that price.

Back