Building design fault

Can a building recall on design occur
I have two apartments in one complex both hot water systems, gravity fed roof type. They are leaking and causing structural damage. I can not reach them to service or repair because of the lack of foresight of architects and negligence of those who granted building approval. They are set in the roof space of a three storey apartment building. anchored to the side wall. Above a suspended ceiling with a minature man hole metres away. 3 plumbers have told me that the costs will be immense to replace or even to dismantle these units and noone is interested in doing the job which will likely involve using a crane , cherry pickers and men harnassed to be lowered into the steep roof space. I suggested removing the ceiling to access it. Do I have any legal rights because my costs are going to be horrendous especially the lost rental income while these units are being replaced. Surely the building should be recalled due to the fault just as a car would.? Any advice out there. What are my legal rights in this situation?
JASA

.....Surely the building should be recalled due to the fault just as a car would.? Any advice out there. JASA

Buildings don't get "recalled". They are not a product that you can return.

How old is the building please? You may have a claim under builder's warranty. But if over 7 years (or thereabouts, it will be expired) & you're on your own :(

Thanks for reply

Buildings don't get "recalled". They are not a product that you can return.

How old is the building please? You may have a claim under builder's warranty. But if over 7 years (or thereabouts, it will be expired) & you're on your own :(

The apartments were built in mid 1990's so guess it's too bad for me. I just received a ball park quote of $10K to replace the heaters. :eek: I was being facetious referring to a recall. :rolleyes:

Hi Jasa

Can you upload some pics of the heater, access etc. just to see where the leaks are.

Maybe an alternative to replacing like with like is to install a high pressure unit in the laundry above the laundry tub. This would still be a substantial job with the plumbing and electrical services but at least going forward it will be more serviceable.

Cheers

Photos difficult

Hi Jasa

Can you upload some pics of the heater, access etc. just to see where the leaks are.

Maybe an alternative to replacing like with like is to install a high pressure unit in the laundry above the laundry tub. This would still be a substantial job with the plumbing and electrical services but at least going forward it will be more serviceable.

Cheers

It is apparently rusted out, it is 15 yrs old so it has had it's time. I discussed the option of above laundry trough but have been told the space is too small and I would need to remove the tub and have a tank in it's place with ugly pipe work visible. I could have a smaller tank but have been informed I would need it to be on an expensive tariff and even then it would probably run out between showers and take 1/2 hour to reheat. I own two apartments in the complex that sit side by side. The other tank is due to go soon so I thought I would replace both at same time. I am looking at having gas connected and installing instantaneous gas water heaters. Getting gas to the third floor is very expensive and would also require (beside strata approval) cherry pickers etc, but at least I would not have to deal with the roof horrors again.

JASA

Jasa, can they be accessed from above (from the roof by removing tiles/iron)?

Gools

Yes they can but because I am the third floor it will be expensive in equipment to access the steep roof. I have explored a few options with a good plumber and am currently getting a quote for both replacement of the gravity fed systems and new gas installation. The gas option will be expensive initially but will cause less headaches in the long term. I am planning to hold the two apartments as my childrens inheritance so I will probably go the gas option if the cost is not too exhorbitant.
Cheers,
JASA

Our old house had a gravity fed HWS. The HWS is still in the roof but empty, the pipework has been re-routed to a mains pressure HWS on the ground outside.

Is there room within the unit to install a new HWS?

Hi Bargain Hunter

Our old house had a gravity fed HWS. The HWS is still in the roof but empty, the pipework has been re-routed to a mains pressure HWS on the ground outside.

Is there room within the unit to install a new HWS?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have explored that option, but it is a small apartment and space is precious. I thought about replacing my laundry sink with a hot water service but it would be unsightly and awkward. I think gas will be the go.

JASA

They are set in the roof space of a three storey apartment building. anchored to the side wall. Above a suspended ceiling with a minature man hole metres away. 3 plumbers have told me that the costs will be immense to replace or even to dismantle these units and noone is interested in doing the job which will likely involve using a crane ,
Maybe the low cost way would be to rip the section of the ceiling out hire a duct lifter and reinstall the units,otherwise to reset all the pipework in that style of building would be very costly,,willair..imho..

Back