building double garage

I am helping a mate to build a double garage at his property located in the inner-west of Sydney. He's got an owner builder licence and I am begining my part-time studies for building and construction (am working full-time in IT/Financial Markets) so we thought we'll have a go at building it ourselves.

It's a corner block and the garage will be 6m x 6m. It must be brick or double brick with tile roof.

1. which is easier and cheaper? build on footings or slab?
2. if slab, 4" or 5"?
3. if 4", is it strong enough to be built on? or do we still need footings?
4. where can I find a cheap concreter in sydney?
5. is it safe to buy bags of pre-mixed concrete and create the slab ourselves?

1. which is easier and cheaper? build on footings or slab?
Stip footings obviously. BUT won't you want a concrete floor in this thing - not a dirt one?

2. if slab, 4" or 5"?
4" obviously - less concrete
3. if 4", is it strong enough to be built on? or do we still need footings?
Souldn't you be using an engineer to tell you?

4. where can I find a cheap concreter in sydney?
This garage is going to look 'interesting' when you're finished. Be sure to post a pic please ;) :eek:

5. is it safe to buy bags of pre-mixed concrete and create the slab ourselves?
Safe - yes BUT not the rapid set - not suitable for construction. Expensive compared to getting a redimix truck concrete delivery around - yes.

Do you guys own a spirit level and a plumb bob and a string line? ;)

Not wanting to sound disrespectful, but if you are asking such questions, then i would say that it may be better to get someone with a bit of experience to physically help or guide you (not just input from a forum).

It may be more beneficial in the long term.

A couple of other questions, have you approached the local council with any plans and/or engineering specs? Also, have you ascertained that the ground that you want to build this garage on doesn't have any pipes or cables underneath it? Have you actually drawn any plans for this garage? Are you putting power into it? If so, how will you run the cables and where will you locate the switches?

g

Hi Propertunity, I was told by a builder we can build on the footings and then put a slab inside later. He said the idea is to separate the footing from slab so the weight of the building does not fall on the slab, which means we can save $ by using a thinner 4" slab. He said we should only let the weight of a building sit on a 5" slab. What is a spirit level and plumb bob? Is that an i-phone application??? :p

Hi gg1965, we got DA approved, no pipes underneath. Sewer main is less than 3m from the corner of garage but we got it approved. Mate's dad can do the electrical work. Mate got quoted $35k for the job. We are trying to work out if we can get it done ourselves for less than 15k.

Good project, Pat. Building a garage with your mate to suit what he wants to do in it is a great opportunity.

Make sure it's got plenty of natural light. Having water connected would be great, too. Go for a pitched roof - great for storage.

Don't attempt the slab with bags of concrete you mix yourself - you'll be looking at close to four cubic metres. And get someone there on the day who has done a pour before - it's a fast a furious job. The stuff comes out of the truck quickly because the driver wants to get away. And it goes off surprisingly quickly. It needs to be spread, finished and covered for curing.

Pour your footings, get your bricklayers in to do the base, pour the slab, get brickies back to do the top.....Just do single skin with attached piers.

Im thinking you will probably dig the footings and do that pour?

But what else are you going to do the brick work? roof tiling? make the roof trusses ?

This thread made me LOL.

Don't forget to check to see if you need drainage at the front of the garage pending on slope of site. Mine did so you should check out if its required.

Plenty of people in the inner west build two storey garages with small flats on top. Your mate might be able to build some rentable space, Pat.

Pour your footings, get your bricklayers in to do the base, pour the slab, get brickies back to do the top.....Just do single skin with attached piers.

Im thinking you will probably dig the footings and do that pour?

But what else are you going to do the brick work? roof tiling? make the roof trusses ?

We are thinking to do everything apart from the slab. With the brick work we'll go nice and slow to make sure things are square. We'll build it with old and left over bricks from building sites and old barbecues if we can collect enough pieces. With the roof, he has a pyramid design in the DA and doesn't want to change it. Haven't figured out how to make a pyramid yet. Any advice on that is greatly appreciated. Is it easier to do a timber frame or go double brick? I am concerned the framing won't be straight with our limited carpentry skills.

Plenty of people in the inner west build two storey garages with small flats on top. Your mate might be able to build some rentable space, Pat.

Thanks for the tip Depreciator. Don't think we can fit a flat up there as roof is not steep enough. Also we can't change the design as it will look out of sync with the main building and others in the street.

We are thinking to do everything apart from the slab. With the brick work we'll go nice and slow to make sure things are square. We'll build it with old and left over bricks from building sites and old barbecues if we can collect enough pieces. With the roof, he has a pyramid design in the DA and doesn't want to change it. Haven't figured out how to make a pyramid yet. Any advice on that is greatly appreciated. Is it easier to do a timber frame or go double brick? I am concerned the framing won't be straight with our limited carpentry skills.

So now Im guessing it will be rendered or bagged finish? In regards to your frame or double brick question .......Just do it in single brick with attached piers doesn't need to be framed. Are you going to have windows and a door in this garage? Why waste time scabing old bricks when you can buy them for $450 or so a thou....you probably just need a scratch faced common if you render it'll take it well. Im thinking you will need 3000 odd sound about right?

As for your trusses just out source them. I will take the camera to work on tuesday and take some snaps of the one we are doing at work sounds similar to what you guys are trying to achieve... detatched double garage 6x8 we just finished the base today its getting poured monday and we are back to start the top tuesday.

Back