Building Duplex and Tax

Hi all

I currently own a rental property and have now decided to knock it down and build a duplex on it. The intention is to live in one side and sell the other. I have been told I should be able to apply CGT to the profit I make when I sell. Some questions on this:

1. The construction will occur over 2 financial years. For the expenses I have incurred so far on the construction in this financial year do I need to report these in my tax return in a business schedule to carry forward the loss? Or do I simply keep all the receipts and add it to the cost base when I sell in the next financial year?

2. For the 50% CGT discount, when does the 12 months start date apply? Is it the time when I bought my rental property or when the duplex is completed?

Thanks for all your views in advance (I will also be talking to an accountant this week).

Cheers
Charlie

Thanks for the link Propertunity.

Looks like an excellent resource hub written with humour as a bonus, as per second last chapter on page two!

Thanks, I did read the bantacs developer booklet which was very informative.

I was sort of looking for more details on how I should be reporting my construction expenses if I was eligible for the CGT path as the construction would go over 2 financial years. i.e. report expenses now and carry forward loss vs keeping all expense receipts and adding this to the cost base when I sell.

Also for CGT how the 12 months hold period would be calculated (IP buy date vs duplex completion date)?

Cheers
Charlie

I'm sure a proper bean counter could answer this more accurately, but if you are talking about financial reporting for a capital asset I'd expect you would "capitalise" the costs to the Balance Sheet, ie all costs for the asset increase the asset. Cash decreases/liability increases (in the case of bank loan), asset increases.

Not convinced CGT would apply here tho, if the intention is to sell for a profit.

CGT timing over my head. I suspect it may be some sort of combination of both, or the IP purchase date. Guessing tho.

Happy to be corrected here.

Back