Building for the first time, what are my steps

Hi all,

I am looking at building a house and kennels on a 10 acre lot. I have not yet landed the land so this could all be pie in the sky stuff but I need to know the best order of attacking this project.

I need to get planning permission for a house which will be (probably ) no issues once I have chosen one so long as I keep with the councils guidelines. I need to add two septic tanks, one for the house and one for the kennel block. I need to bring in the water and electricity services onto the land from the street. I need to clear the area for the pad to go on. I need to find a way of living cheaply while I build so am considering a caravan or a removal house if I can find a cheap enough solution. I need to get soil testing carried out. I have probably forgotten or are not aware of loads more things besides and I need to get the project completed as soon as possible so we can start living properly.

Which is my best order of attack and why? I have a budget of around $250k for everything apart from the kennels, so house and septic etc..

I am thinking of buying a smaller model house with the thought of extending at a later date when we have more money rather than try and build the dream house from the start so that needs a little planning too.

So much to do and so little experience. As always, best answer gets a smiley face..

Depending on what the Council will allow, your preferences and the location of the block, a relocatable home may be worth considering. Construction is virtually completed before it is shipped to your block and added to stumps or a slab.

This place is the first one that came to mind but it's in QLD. There will be plenty of companies offering the same service in WA.

http://www.assetcabins.com.au/home

Thanks for the repsonses. The donga is a good solution but they are so expensive and that would eat a huge chunk of my budget. I wonder if I could rent one and have it delivered.

I will check out that Forum, thanks.. smiley face for you.:)

I have looked at the option of building a huge shed to live in and that looks like it will cost about $32k built with slab etc and I would of course keep that after but it is finding the extra $32k. Ironically we will pay almost that in rent anyway in a year.:eek:

Back