Building inspection report concern

Hi all :

Just got building inspection and pest inspection report done for a property. There is no major concern. However the section for site and garden states the following :

Site drainage across the front of the house is currently noted as being substandard – it
is essential to ensure that all ground, garden beds, grassed areas, and paving are
graded to fall away from the base of the building – installation of strategically located
surface drains and strategically located agricultural drains to remove build up surface
water is recommended to prevent ground heave which may affect the condition of
external walls and internal plaster finishes – where installed paving that does not
provide adequate drainage of surface build up water away from the base of the walls of the building should be replaced with adequately graded paving – ground that is not
graded away from the base of the walls of the building should be appropriately
regraded - substandard site drainage may result in moisture build up around the base
of the walls of the building & possible water penetration / entry into the sub floor which
may result in uncontrolled ground movement which may adversely affect the condition
of the house resulting in uncontrolled cracking – increased moisture levels in the base
of the walls of the building may also result in premature deterioration.
• Timber picket fence is displaying weathering and slight lean – currently generally
deemed to be adequate – monitor.
• Garage:
- Replace damaged rear access door.
- The base of timber reveals of the front garage door are rotting – repair required.
- No articulation joints are currently installed within brick walls – this does not comply
with current BCA regulations – considering the age of the house this regulation was
not in force at the time of construction of this house – generally brick walls are
displaying adequate performance with no evident current major or significant
cracking to brickwork – monitor wall condition as adverse ground movements
resulting from seasonal weather changes or poor site drainage conditions may
result in uncontrolled cracking to brickwork and internal plaster finishes.
- High moisture detected along the base of the brick wall – currently mortar to base
brickwork is OK – cause due to poor site drainage resulting in water pooling along
the base of the wall in parts – monitor as continued moisture absorption into base
brick work will result in eventual increased deterioration of mortar and potential for
bricks becoming loose within the wall – recommend upgrading site drainage and
repairing heavily eroded damaged mortar to base brickwork as required

Just wondering should this be a big concern/ or have future implication? Apart from that, I really liked the property and suits our need. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I read this and didn't reply as I'd hate to influence you one way or the other, but honestly, I've never read a building report that doesn't make it sound like the place is in good condition.

When I read your report, my first thought is "sounds okay". Did you speak to the building inspector. I've never bothered with a building inspection for a few reasons. One was when my late mother was selling real estate she would tell me she liked the purchasers to meet the inspector at the end of the inspection because all reports read badly, and often the inspector will write the report with so many "get out" comments but will say to the purchaser "this is a good house".

The other reason we never had a building report is because we have always bought queenslanders or houses on stumps, where we can see for ourselves whether there are termites, if the stumps are good, etc. I would be more concerned with a brick house where we could not see things clearly.

The one time we did get a building report was when our son bought a unit. I was more concerned as it was his money on the line, not ours. The building inspector wrote all the usual "scary" things, but told us verbally that it was a good, solid unit for the price and he would buy it.

My suggestion to you would be to get a builder in to tell you his opinion, and if there are things that need fixing, give you a price.

When our son bought a house, we got Brian from here on SS to take a look. It had failed a building inspection already, so he didn't waste any money on getting another one. The gap in the bricks on the side of the house was big enough to put a slice of bread into, and the price our son paid allowed for underpinning work if it was required. In the end, my husband did major drainage work behind the house and that has solved the cracking problems (fingers crossed).

Sounds like some minor sub-soil drainage issues to be addressed, nothing urgent. You may have to take some soil away from around the house as it sounds like it may be a little high.

Likewise, brick articulation joints - these weren't required when the house was built and shouldn't cause a problem.

You should be ideally inspecting at the same time as the inspector to see first hand, or at least getting them on the phone and asking directly for the 'summary and suggestions', with the way they need to do their disclaimers it does read as though you might never end up buying a property in good condition. When you get the summary you can place the words into some perspective.

Every property has issues, main concern is whether they have been priced in and also have potential to be ongoing.

The most recent inspection i had done it was written as though the home was just about to fall down around your ears,which simply was not the case,i made comment there were more disclaimers to protect the inspector in the report than reporting itself in some cases.I sometimes wonder if the $450 cost for piece of mind really does stack up,with so many dissclaimers in place.I have never read a report which does not totally bag the home being inspected.Ask your inspector to clarify your concerns for you.

If you intend to level the place then it's not important but if you are going to live or rent it out it will be a different ,,and by the sounds it will be ppor
most of that paper comes back too longterm-drainage problems very easy too fix,,low cost,,but I would be more worried about white ants-termites
because in a set-up like this they would have had a lot of time to work the place,..imho..

Back