Building inspection result

I’ve just received the building/pest inspection for a property I’ve put a deposit on. It’s an old property located in Toowoomba QLD ( 1960’s 2-3 bedroom single story brick/timber house) so you would expect some issues however what has concerned me is that the inspector has mentioned there is decay to the subflooring and repairs are required – “Due to excessive decay to timber bearer floor joist, building repairs is required”. The access to the floor space is limited so the inspector couldn’t inspect all bearers, but the photo he has provided does appear to show a badly decayed joist. The were no termite activity detected however termite workings and/or damage was found.

The concern I’ve got is whether I would have to get the joist repaired/replaced straight away or wether it would last a couple of years and how much it would cost to repair. Is it a big and expensive job to replace a timer floor joist?

The agent has indicated that the vendor would only reduce the purchase price by $1000 to cover any repair costs. Would this be sufficient to have the timber floor joist replaced?

Attachments

• subfloor.jpg
    subfloor.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 102
The concern I’ve got is whether I would have to get the joist repaired/replaced straight away or wether it would last a couple of years and how much it would cost to repair. Is it a big and expensive job to replace a timer floor joist?

The agent has indicated that the vendor would only reduce the purchase price by $1000 to cover any repair costs. Would this be sufficient to have the timber floor joist replaced?

Have you checked out the sub-floor yourself? I believe it would be more than what is shown on the photo

It really depends on the extent of the damage. The inspector should be able to give a cost estimate. $1k seems light on to replace bearers and joists, I would think anywhere from $2k to $10k depending on how much work is required.

Thanks for your replies so far.

I'm interstate so unfortunately haven't been able to inspect the subfloor myself.

I have spoken with the inspector and he wasn't able to indicate the extent of the damage/decay due to the limited access (personally I don't think he wanted to crawl under there and get dirty. I queried him on how much he thinks it might cost to have repaired and he was unable to as it wasn't his area of expertise.

I've attached another photo of the floor joist, and as you can see these ones look fine, so I think the damage/decay is isolated somewhat.

Attachments

• subfloor 2.png
    subfloor 2.png
    452.9 KB · Views: 83
I would suggest you find a local builder who can look at it via the estate agent. Ask for a quote on replacing what is needed and use that to make your offer if you are still keen.

Back