Building inspection timing...

Hi All,

I am currently looking at an old house and want to get a building inspection done. The price looks OK so I was wondering whether to get the inspection done prior to making an offer or make an offer conditional based on a builder's report.

Thanks

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AEB5.82D86D60
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"

If you have a cooling off period, do the inspection during that rather than
putting weasel clauses in your contract that will weaken your chance of
having the offer accepted.

Duncan.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AEB5.82D86D60
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">

<TITLE>RE: Building inspection timing...</TITLE>

If you have a cooling off period, do the inspection =during that rather than putting weasel clauses in your contract that =will weaken your chance of having the offer accepted.

Duncan.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1AEB5.82D86D60--

Reply: 2

My experience is that most vendors are more than happy to have a "subject to building inspection" clause in the contract (in Qld, its standard form).

Gail

Reply: 2.1

Hi,

Glen's question is interesting, say your inspection reveals some things that are a problem, not so much that you drop the deal, but are worth pushing the price further down.

Would it not be better to have it done prior to offer?

What about pests?

Say you were gunna redo the floor boards as part of a reno, but the presence of soft wood borers is noted.

Maybe you'd say "gee I'd like to offer this, but the cost of replacing those boards is gunna cost me $x, if your vendor drops the price to compenstate, the repairs"

btw Asy - don't give me the line, "but the damage has been factored into the asking price" hehehe if the agent didnt mention something before, its worth asking for compensation when you find out about it!

Michael G

Reply: 2.1.1

Thank you for your opinions. I am going to have a builder check it out before making an offer.

GLenn

Back