Building issues ...

Well I thought everything was finally going well with building, but just got back from the house and I can see that the sparky has got a lot of things wrong!
Now here is the problem, my builder didn't offer the kind of networking/computer requirements I had so I went and negotiated direct access to the sparky to do the additional work, only my site supervisor and Customer service officier have knowledge of this and there are no contracts - money going directly to the sparky.

it appears that the sparky has put in a TV point instead of a phone point (big problem) along with a few other mistakes, single data points instead of doubles etc not so big

So what do I do, I haven't paid the sparky for the work but any ideas on the best way to negotiate a fair outcome and where I stand would be nice.

Go right back to the Sparky and tell him to chang it as per discussed - and tell the site super as he has an interest in this. This kind of thing goes on all the time - infact I am sure the builders dont really want to know its more hastle for them that its worth. The super is usually happy to give his tradepeoples names out - it makes the whole process go around - super does his Tp a fav by getting them work on the side - they do better work for him in the end ................

I even had to pay GST on my ontheside work - got an invoice and all that - so just hold payment till work done!

Hi,

I'm about to enter a very similar situation.
Essentially as said above. It's more trouble than it's worth to the builder, so they tell us to deal direct with the sparky.
What we have been told is that whatever deals we do on the side are between us and the sparky and the builder doesn't want to know.
If he gets it wrong, it's up to you to point it out and get him to rectify the situation.

All the best

I had a similar situation with a sparky on one of my builds.
Similar situation as you,site supervisor didn't want to know about it.
The last phone call I had with them (Sparky),they said that it was end of discussion and nothing was to change.(End of conversation)

I said alright and left it at that.

Two weeks later,I received a bill which I didn't pay.

Another two weeks after that I received a phone call from the sparky company asking when I was going to pay the bill.

I said OH you want to talk to me now?
I told them I have no hesitation in paying the bill if the items we spoke of earlier were fixed.

Next day the sparky was forced to come back and fix them.
I paid ,end of story.

Moral of the story is,Don't pay if you truly believe you have been wronged.,be fair but firm you have the power;)

To avoid problems with any contractor - get a copy of plan and draw and write on plan in different colours what you want and give coloured copy to contractor.

( I would do above and send or give to Electrician saying this is what we discussed and what I want done and what I will pay for)

OR

When discussing with Electrician walk thru building and they write on plan (room by room) what you want in each room, then they do a quote for you to sign before work is commenced.

Communication is the no one problem in most businesses as you only remember a small percentage of what you have been told.

Sheryn

Sounds pretty much as expected. The Sparky has a copy of my electical diagram which I just added to in pen the required extras so there should be no arguement I hope!
Great to know how other people deal with it all though

Most builders will build a house according to the final set of plans. These plans are sent to individual contractors for quotation and installation.

If there are changes made along the way then things can go wrong if the communication chain breaks down from the person you speak with to the person who actually does the job. One way to add a visual reminder apart from drawing on plans is to actually make notes on the slab.

Most builders will build a house according to the final set of plans. These plans are sent to individual contractors for quotation and installation.

If there are changes made along the way then things can go wrong if the communication chain breaks down from the person you speak with to the person who actually does the job. One way to add a visual reminder apart from drawing on plans is to actually make notes on the slab.

Forgot about the Electrician drawing in blue on the concrete!

Kudo's - can't send you any as I must share around Sailesh.

Sheryn

Back