Building Manager who lives in the building

i was just looking through the owners corporation budget for my apartment builidng.

It seems that is a accommodation budget for the building manager to stay in one of the apartment building he manages. there is a total of 5 buildings that is on the same vicinity in which he is the building manager. is this normal? seemingly that he works only mon to friday?
and why pay for accommodation when you could hire another guy?

has anyone come across a similar scenario?

nope he just haves a morning coffee breaks and let people into the building for maintenance and answers to service requests say there is a gas problem etc. All i hear is that he when you call him he never answers but just chats up conversations with service staff etc.

i just feel strange that people like him should be put into accommodation and as the owners should have to pay for it.

Well, there are two options - 1) sell up and find a property which doesn't have on-site management and lower BC fees or 2) Put forward a motion at the AGM to reduce the level of service on the buildings/complex and to appoint an external strata manager (including a complete business case for and against).

Well, there are two options - 1) sell up and find a property which doesn't have on-site management and lower BC fees or 2) Put forward a motion at the AGM to reduce the level of service on the buildings/complex and to appoint an external strata manager (including a complete business case for and against).

i would put forward a motion - however i think u may have misunderstood me the building manager/caretake is the one that stays in the building where else the property manager does not.

If you don't believe that the service provided by having an on-site caretaker/building manager (not property manager or strata manager) is not value for money and you can get a motion up at the AGM, go for it.

The unit we used to own in Southbank also had accomodation for the manager.

It was never decked out and in the end used as an office as the said manager only worked office hours. Funny thing was, just before we sold out, the big issue was security at night - so the strata fees had to jump to pay for a security guard, as well as installing cameras.

The Y-man

this is different - the accommodation is actually a full apartment and being used by himself and his family members as in he actually lives there full time something like a janitor.

When I was investigating buying an IP in QLD around 5-7 years ago, this was fairly common in the new build villas/ townhouses.
I could be wrong, but I think they bought a unit and then were either paid, or had reduced payments to take on management rights.

Back