Building near the beach- extra costs?

I have heard it costs more to build near the ocean (beach) in WA due to different materials needed or extra rustproofing or galvanzing. Does anyone know how many km's (direct sight line?) you have to be from the ocean to be charged this amount and roughly what are the extra items and associated costs?

I believe it's 1km - but the only way I know that figure is that the Colorbond website always asks me if the dwelling is more or less than 1km from marine influences.

As to how much I'm not sure. For Mindarie I knew it would need more $ but didn't quantify it. I'm guessing no more than 5% additional on construction costs.

I believe it's 1km - but the only way I know that figure is that the Colorbond website always asks me if the dwelling is more or less than 1km from marine influences.

As to how much I'm not sure. For Mindarie I knew it would need more $ but didn't quantify it. I'm guessing no more than 5% additional on construction costs.

Thanks Myf, i recall something along the lines of 1km but for some reason a cost of about $3k for a $200k build cost comes to mind. Not sure.

For structural concrete <5km from the beach the cover increases protect the reo, 75mm cover instead of standard 50mm.

Any "exposed" materials would need to be suitable of course, galvanised/stainless etc

It goes all the way down to buying the right sort of airconditioning units as well - you will need one with passivated coils on the outdoor component as the cooling fins on the coil will corrode much more quickly and loose all efficiency.

Its 1k from the sea in Vic. You only need galvanised steel and nails. Not much else seems to change. However, we are building a 2 storey deck and the foundation pads for the steel studs are 600mm x 600mm x 1 metre deep. My partner was in construction and said he hasnt seen such deep footings on 3 storey buildings. I do think engineering coys are overengineering things to high heaven, but with a 40/50 people party up there and given the very strong winds that sweep in off the bay, perhaps better to be sure than sorry

I do think engineering coys are overengineering things to high heaven

The Aust Standards incorporate a particular level of safety in the design calculations and it is easy to determine how 'overengineered' a structure may be under normal conditions however when you need to factor in earthquake loadings, disturbed soil, soil compaction factors, wind loads, variations in equilibrium moisture content etc which we don't anticipate on a daily basis then the calculations are quite justified. If they do go out on a limb, it is only to come up with an engineered solution to meet the deemed to satisfy provisions of the BCA.

How often do you demolish an old structure to find that the brick building doesn't have footings or barely a blinding slab beneath the bricks? What? It didn't fall down and hasn't cracked? Do you put that down to good luck or fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants standard building practice of the day?

I have seen the lawyers try to go after the builder & architect 30+ years after handover, simply because they were still around when failure due to lack of maintenance occurred - well beyond what the builder or architect could be held responsible.

This is what i got back from my builder:

Coastal zoning is 1 km from breaking surf but there is variables with this to consider but this is a general rule.

In this zone there are things that change in construction for example stainless steel brick ties, coastal cement is required, the galvanising on any steel used may have to be upgraded, roof fixings have to be upgraded, any texture coating to the external May have to be impact coated, wind zoning for the roof may be higher therefore more expense

The costings on houses in this zone may vary slightly to quite substantial it really depends on the location.

Back