Building/Pest inspection in Melbourne

Building & Pest

I used Buy-Wise, Langwarrin in May - 1800 289 947. They were great.

$370 for the Inspection and $325 for the Pest Report.

They even had dogs to sniff out the pests. Very, very professional. The report was in great detail together with photos of any problems.

Chris

Bad experience with Buy Wise

We too also used Archicentre before, and we looked around to see if there is any cheaper alternative. After searching the forum, we found Buy Wise, along with two other recommended companies. We chose Buy Wise Inspection to do a pre-purchase inspection for our property mainly because they advertised on their website that they use specially trained dogs to detect termites. When we called up the company to book the service, we were also assured that they always used dogs in their pest inspections. However, when we received our pest inspection report, the section about the dog serviced was all blank. When we called the company, the person answered the phone was adamant that the dog was used on the day. The company even modified the report to say that a dog was used. So we contacted the tenant and confirmed that no dog went inside the house on the day. After a few emails back and forth, in the end, the company admitted no dog was used, but the pest inspector blamed it on the tenant, saying that there were signs that the tenant had marijuana on the property and that's not safe on the dog. We totally do not believe that excuse as the tenant was a very nice family with young children. There was an old poster of a marijuana leaf in the garage, but it is very ridiculous that the pest inspector think the place is full of marijuana because of an old poster. That was a very serious accusation, so we demanded a more detailed explanation from the company, and they did not reply as of today.

We are very disappointed with the way Buy Wise Inspection dishonoured their promise to use the dog in our pest inspection service, and then tried to cover it up. We will never trust them or ask for their service again.

So uh, was there anything they missed on the report they did? Was there termites? Or are you just up set as you love dogs and didn't get that in the inspection?

How well do you know the tenants? Not well I'd gather if you're buying this property.

The report said there is no termite. However, from their own website, termite dogs "have been proven to have an accuracy of around 95% for detection of live termites, compared to a visual inspection from an Inspector which is around 20-30%". So if the dog was not used, I can only be 30% sure that there is no termite on the property. What's the point of hiring them then?

I am not only upset that they promised to use termite dogs, and then didn't use dogs. I don't mind if the dog was sick on the day and they need to do it on another day. I am more angry that they lied to our face when we checked, and then came up with some lame excuse without any further explanation. If what the pest inspector see is just a poster, will you run away from any house with a poster of Arnie holding a shotgun? Accusing the tenant storing marijuana on the property is a very serious accusation, as I will need to call in the police to investigate if the pest inspector really have any substance in his claim.

I am really surprised at your problem xman

As previously reported by me they used dogs on my inspection, the previous owner confirmed this.

Also they picked up problems I had missed, which I have now had fixed

I found them excellent. Maybe it depends on the area as to which inspectors or dogs that you get

Chris

Ok so your gripe is the fact they didn't use the dogs, you have no idea if the report is actually not good or if they did miss anything, seems a pretty weird complaint if you ask me.

Just ask them for a refund and go get another report done, if you can find another company that uses termite sniffin' dogs.

I did ask for a refund but they refused to. I am more upset about their attitude and that they kept on lying to us. Firstly they did not keep their promise to use a dog, which was what made us to choose this company; secondly they refused to admit their mistakes and in the end they tried to cover the mistakes with some lame lies. I don't think a good company should do business like this.

Buy-wise called to apologize and refunded half of our pest inspection cost

Update: After one month, a manager from Buy-Wise called us after seeing our negative review on Google. She explained their termite detection dogs are very expensive and the handler was a bit overprotective of the dogs. She also explained our last email correspondence happened on the day of the company's Christmas break up party and she forgot about our case. She was not sure why they were confused about whether or not the dog was used at the beginning. Nevertheless, she agreed everything should have been handled better. She apologized for the handling of our complains and promised the company will try to handle customer complaints better in the future. We asked for half of our pest inspection fee back and she agreed. Therefore, we accepted their apology. I hope that they will stop making this mistake in the future.

Resicert Property Inspections are really good, very big long term in WA and really starting to take off over in the Eastern states. (Have to acknowledge vested interest - my partner is just about to buy in)

Back