Building/Pest inspection reports

Hi all,

I really need your helps and advices.
We recently make an offer on this property the the building inspection come back with the below faults and defects. Still waiting for the pest inspection report.
Is this a major and should I be worried or this is just normal with every inspection report?? should we pull out of the contract?

Thanks for the help.

1 General maintenance, adjustments, minor repairs etc. (normal wear and tear).
2 One cracked window pane.
3 Plaster repairs required.
4 Ceiling sheets have dropped a little – monitor and may need refixing to ceiling joists.
5 Minor touch up plaster repairs – just fill, sand and paint.
6 Doors have been removed.
7 New fly wire needed to screen door/window.
8 Cracking along plaster sheet join – may have to be professionally repaired to try and stop recracking.
9 Seem to be the original cabinets – still functional.
10 New exhaust fan required.
11 Floor covering is water damaged.
12 Repairs needed to cistern.
13 Maintenance due to tap spindles (washer/”o” ring/lubricant etc.)–plumber required.
14 Concrete shower base – known to leak but seems ok; monitor and if moisture sighted repairs will be needed.
15 Couple of water stains – see roof.
16 Broken window pane.
17 Tile maintenance required to shower base.
18 Shower has leaked in the past and caused some damage to wall and timbers near shower base. It’s possible that water gets in behind shower taps, sealant around tap spindles is recommended. Dry now but monitor. If becomes damp get advice from a plumber.
19 Window sash has been painted shut.
20 Floor is water stained but ok.
21 No tiles behind taps – best to install to protect plaster.
22 Fair amount of rust in cabinet.
23 Insulbatts – ok but are thin and an extra layer would be more effective
24 Conventional roof framing, a little uneven due to normal settlement but structurally fine.
25 Unable to get under the house because of limited access.
26 Concrete stumps.
27 When walking through house there were no indications of any structural problems.
28 Hardwood T & G strip flooring.
29 See separate pest inspection report by Twin bays Termite Inspection
30 Some builders rubbish under the floor – best to remove.
31 Cement roof tiles, generally good just weathered OK. Regarding point # 15 I saw no cause – past problem.
32 Gutters are in a good condition just could do with a clean out.
33 Rust in some downpipes.
34 At front left corner of house; foundations have dropped causing brickwork to move away from window approximately 15mm, this needs to be monitored and if moves more underpinning should be considered. At the moment it most likely is stabilized (not overly concerned).
35 Most fascia corners have rot and repairs are needed.
36 Most windows do require a fair amount of work to get back to a good condition.
37 Wiring is acceptable and system has been fitted with a couple of breakers but no safety switch.
38 Smoke alarms need to be on the outside of the bedroom and approximately 2 metres away from doorway also replace batteries when you move in then every year. (Move or add detectors if required for your safety).

All just minor maintenance issues. I certainly wouldn't be pulling out of a contract for any of that. All the houses I have bought are older houses and the inspections come up with similar things. In my experience the inspector would have really highlighted any major issues. Good thing is that you now have a maintenance checklist to attend to when you settle.

Its an old house there are going to be problems. Most of these are simply maintenance or lack of maintenance issues which you should be able to address over time. Remember that in all likelyhood any house in the same price range area is going to be the same age and likely to have similar problems.

The one that would concern me is the crack.

"34 At front left corner of house; foundations have dropped causing brickwork to move away from window approximately 15mm, this needs to be monitored and if moves more underpinning should be considered. At the moment it most likely is stabilized (not overly concerned)."

15mm is a substantial amount of movement and underpinning is a very expensive exercise. Similarly if the is a clay base then a lot of movement is happening in Sydney currently just because of the re-hydration due to all the rain.

Cheers

Back