Building regulations

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the building regulations are in relation to converting an underhouse rumpus room into 2 bedrooms with regard to providing windows. I know there must be windows to make it legal, but what size do they need to be and do they need to be ones that can open? If I am going to do the work, I want to make sure it is a legal conversion so I can sell it as extra rooms.

Do I need council approval to do this?

The BCA requires a ceiling of 2400mm height, windows equal to 10% or floor area and at least 5% must be opening for ventilation. Council only needs to know about structural changes.

Cheers
Pulse

Hi Pulse,

Thanks for that information.

The 10% that you mentioned - does that just mean 10% of the newly divided room or of the whole orginal floor space?

I havn't read much about renos and am not too familiar with the guidelines.

Hi Peta

Sometimes it depends on the description of the room. Friend had a highset house which was not legal head height underneath. He built in 3 approved storerooms, each with a sliding window.

In reality, he had two bedrooms and a study. But legally it was 3 storerooms.

Marg

Hi MARG4000,

Yeah I know it can be done that way too (as was the case with another IP I was lloking at), but ti means you do the work to divide the rooms but cant technically sell it as extra rooms and thats what I want to be able to do if I am going to renovate.

The ceiling is quite tall and there is one side with a high step up (like a stage section) and standing in that part, the roof is still quite high.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry marg, the rules are that each room needs 10% of its floorspace as ventilation. They can also borrow ventilation from an adjacent room

Cheers
Pulse

Back