Building standards

I have settled on the Sydney apartment bought OTP a year ago. I am not a construction expert, but even I could see that certain elements of the development are poorly designed. For instance, front door to the block of units is only 66 cm wide and wouldn't let through any standard furniture such as a fridge, a washing machine, or a sofa. I have a feeling that there are certain standards that the developer must adhere to. How do I find out what they are? Is there sufficient ground for a legal action?

Regards,

Lotana

Lotana,

the builders must follow the building code of australia, a copy of which you'll probably be able to pick up from the master builders association or housing industry authority.

The builders need to have a knowledge of the BCA. The builders build to a plan which is drawn by an architect who must have thorough knowledge of the BCA. These plans are then checked by the council in the DA process, then re-checked by the council or the private certifier during the construction certificate process, and then once the work has been completed its checked again by either the council or the private certifier before the final occupation certificate is issued.

just some avenues you may wish to explore.

I just checked with my husband, and he said that the front entry door needs to be 900mm wide, and if it's a point of egress for fire emergency it needs to be at least 820mm.

The door needs to be sufficiently wide to allow wheelchair access.

it seems your door does not comply.

hope this helps.

all usual disclaimers! :)

Joanna,

Thank you, your post is very informative. I've searched the web and talked to the Master Builder Association of NSW and Standards Australia. The BCA is only available for sale.
You say:------------------
I just checked with my husband, and he said that the front entry door needs to be 900mm wide, and if it's a point of egress for fire emergency it needs to be at least 820mm.
-----------------------------
In my case this door is the only door to the part of the building where 6 apartments are located. What would be the minimum width (and hight) required? There is no wheelchair access - steps are everywhere. There are 12 doors to other parts of the complex. I've measured all of them and they are all different. The widest clearance front entrance door had 780 mm; the narrowest (happened to be mine) had just 640 mm.

I appreciate your and your husband's help. You guys are great!

Cheers,

Lotana

Don't know the standards, but in my experience most detached houses have 820mm front doors. That is considered a standard width. 660 mm is a joke - my pantry door is not much smaller!

How on earth do you get a Couch through a 660mm door? We could barely get our through an 820 door...

Hi Lotana,

I would contact either the fire brigade or the Master Builders Centre or perhaps the Architect Centre and ask them who could give you some free advice.

I think this may be serious, when in the building supply industry 20 years ago, the fire safety ordinances were quite strict. I would think they are even tougher now, it is vital that you follow this through. I would be approaching all the owners of the units which exit through the narrow doorway as I believe there is no way that this passes the building standards.

Major changes may need to be made to the building, if you were to get an architect to inspect they could advise you on what should be there and follow it up with the appropriate authorities.

But I definitely would not be saying "she'll be right" as in the event of a fire, lives could be lost.

Lotana,

Another thought, perhaps you could ring up Wormald's or some other supplier of "fire doors" and ask them what the minimum requirements are.

They might even send a rep around in the hope that they get the job of fixing it.

It sounds like everyone agrees the building code has been breached. (just remains to be confirmed). But, I think, the second part of the original question remains unanswered: what is one to do when one knows he/she is right and the other party is wrong?

Last edited:
Lotana,

you'll need to seek out an independant building expert, someone has already mentioned Archicentre who are very good.

Get them to go through with a fine tooth comb and get your solicitor involved straight away. Also get the owner's corporation involved...actually the door you refer to is the responsibility of the owner's corporation as it is common property, so make them aware of it and have them pursue it vigorously.

Be careful however, as most strata managers are initially appointed by the developer/builder and are likely to take matters lightly if the developer/builder engages the strata managers alot.

I might add also that the strata managers who conduct the first AGM are appointed only for the initial period and first AGM; it is at this meeting that the owners corp formally engages the strata management company. If you want to make sure you have a totally independant strata manager, seek out the services of another company and ask them to attend the meeting with you and vote to engage them rather than the developer appointed strata manager.

hope this helps a bit.

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. Joanna, I liked the idea of bringing my starta manager to the first AGM. I know 2 other unit owners in the strata plan who share my views, where can I get access to other owner's details to contact them before the meeting?

Cheers, Lotana

Lotana,

you can pay a small fee to inspect the strata roll that the developer appointed strata manager has established. Within that, you should find the details of the other owners. Your solicitor may be able to search through Land Titles, but it may be too recent to have been registered.

Have your preferred strata manager prepare a proposal and a budget, and run it by the other owners prior to the first AGM, along with your concerns, and at the first agm have the other owners vote for or against when it comes time to engage the strata manager.

good luck. let us know how you go.

Why not just do a door knock ? (Obviously a problem if they are investors)

If you want PM me and Ill do a Rpdata/Land Titles Search

Thanks XBenX, but this is a brand new complex, first people settled 2 weeks ago, about 50% have not settled yet. How long doest it take for the title dat ato come through to RPData database?

Cheers,

Lotana

Originally posted by Lotana
Thanks XBenX, but this is a brand new complex, first people settled 2 weeks ago, about 50% have not settled yet. How long doest it take for the title dat ato come through to RPData database?

Cheers,

Lotana

As above, 2-3 months from settlement

Back