Building Surveryors Inspection Outcome

Hi All,

Is the surveyour obliged to provide a copy of written report of each inspection during construction to the owner as well (at least if requested)?
or Is it just between the builder and the building surveyor?

The surveyor has provided the dates when each inspection was conducted (final inspection still pending) , no further information on previous inspection.

It was a building surveyor I had engaged directly and then introduced to the builder.

Any information will be appreicated.

The only person entitled as far as I'm concerned is the person who pays for it. Anyone else is who that person decides (noting that in some cases to get the building certified livable it's in their interest to share :D)

Thanks. That should be me. Not surprisingly the surveyor wants to build better relationship with the builder so he could get more business/projects through the builder.

If you have engaged the inspector and you're organizing the inspections and have asked, when engaging the surveyor that you want to have all of the reports directed to you, then yes of course you should be getting a full list of not only the dates the inspections were carried out but what the inspector found during the inspection.
However, if you have employed the inspector without giving them clear instructions then usually they will just deal with the builder/ supervisor. This way they can expedite the process for amending any issues relating to any inspection.
For example, if you have engaged the builder and the building surveyor separately then the surveyor should do their inspection, hand you the report and then you arrange with the builder/ supervisor to carry out any work (if required) to complete the inspection report.
Usually in my experience as a builder i would always engage the building surveyor. I wouldn't ask the client to engage them. Are you doing the project as an owner builder?

Do you mean surveyor or certifier?

Assuming certifier then the "applicant" cannot be the builder as there is a conflict of interest. You would have been requested to sign an engagement form with the certifier. Their contact should be displayed on signage together with your builders details. This being said pragmatically certifiers dont run everything past the owner, this would create confusion and slow the process down. In short he doesnt seek the owners input when giving the builder the "ok". If there are issues the certifier simply gives the builder instructions.

If its the surveyor then in answer to your question, no, the surveyor works on instruction from the builder unless you engaged a separate building surveyor to examine % works completed then in that case obviously you are his client and he reports to you.

Hope this answers your query.

Hi All,

Is the surveyour obliged to provide a copy of written report of each inspection during construction to the owner as well (at least if requested)?
or Is it just between the builder and the building surveyor?

The surveyor has provided the dates when each inspection was conducted (final inspection still pending) , no further information on previous inspection.

It was a building surveyor I had engaged directly and then introduced to the builder.

Any information will be appreicated.

Thanks all for the detailed responses.

I engaged a surveyor directly , I paid for his fees including building permit and the inspections during the construction stage.

I engaged the builder independently. I am not doing any work myself so not an owner builder.

Tthe builder and surveyor have been communicating directly to schedule the inspections etc.

Shouldn't the surveyor keep a record of the inspections outcome anyways ?

Will follow-up with the surveyor !

Back