Building Underneath Highset House

Hi everyone,
I have bought one 3 bdr high set house in Logan Central recently. It has 2.1m to 2.3m hight underneath. I would like to build underneath and rent it out either separately upstair and downstair or to single tenant with higher rent.
What would be the best idea to do it? Is it better to dig the ground and make it leagal hight and build? Is it legal to rent out separately for two tenants once it build under legal hight?
What would be the approx. cost of adding toilet, bath and kitchen and bathroom. Currently one laundry room and one utility romm is already there.
Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Suraj

Hi Suraj,

I have heard of someone building an extension under a highset house that was under the minimum required height and got around it by calling it storage space. Im not recommending this though as it can cause problems, you would need your tenant to sign something saying that they are aware that the downstairs rooms are not habitable which would probably decrease the rental value and mean that you can only rent it to one person. you might also have problems trying to sell the house and it may even decrease it's value so you might not get back much from your investment.

I would be digging it out to make it the right height if you really want to extend under the house. this is an expensive option though either way. is there room for an extension out the back instead of under the house?

If the zoning is low density residential, the head height is a smaller problem than that dual occupancy is illegal.

Back